Sump Sorrow

oceansidefish

Hey everyone, I am at my witts end trying to get my sump levels to even out. I have a 60 gallon DT and a 30g sump and I am not sure what the problem is. Not enough water, too much water. anyone have any advice on getting sumps to a happy place???

oceansidefish

OK no worries... So I am going to be maybe even a little over explanatory forgive me. I have an overflow that drains into the fuge, water gets sucked up by the pump and into the skimmer it goes (AQUA C rated for about a 250g or more tank) out of the skimmer into the middle section with sand over the waterfall and then once more and back to the tank. Well I can't seem to get the 1st and last chambers to stay at a consistent level. I adjust the flow in one place and the other fills up too much, adjust for that and I don't have enough water in the 4th chamber and my supply starts sucking air. I am going to kill someone if I can't get this under control.

peckhead

the only section of a sump that should fluctuate is the last section with the return pump. and the only time it should change is when water evaporates or you take water out of the tank. all the other sections of the sump should stay at the same height and if there not something is wrong because i cant even picture how that would happen...

t316

Originally Posted by Oceansidefish
OK no worries... So I am going to be maybe even a little over explanatory forgive me. I have an overflow that drains into the fuge, water gets sucked up by the pump and into the skimmer it goes (AQUA C rated for about a 250g or more tank) out of the skimmer into the middle section with sand over the waterfall and then once more and back to the tank. Well I can't seem to get the 1st and last chambers to stay at a consistent level. I adjust the flow in one place and the other fills up too much, adjust for that and I don't have enough water in the 4th chamber and my supply starts sucking air. I am going to kill someone if I can't get this under control.
Sounds really complicated, but I'm sure to you it's not, since you are looking at it. Not sure, but sounds like the problem might be in the middle. You say "waterfall". Is water struggling to get past this chamber? Water should be higher than the wall, for free flow, not waterfall. Is this a new setup, or did it work before and is just now having problems?

mikeyjer

When exactly are you having these problems??? Right after adjustment or when you check it after the day is over??? IF it's after adjustment, you might want to check your pump. What type of overflow and return pump do you have? If you check it after the day is over, it's evaporation. Just fill it back up with fresh RO/DI water and you should be just fine.

tarball

I agree, seems the systems needs more water added to it.
I have 2 lines drawn on the glass of my sump. One is for normal operating water level & one for max level. Both lines are above skimmer & return pump baffle plates.