Sump Troubles: Need Some Help

kevin34

So when I first bought my sump it came with 2 intake pipes, 2 return pipes, and 2 tubes for connecting. I was confused by there only being 2 tubes since there were 4 pipes total. I called the store that I bought it from and they said that I had to buy more tubes. So I hooked both tubes up to the intake pipes and connected them to the sump and went into the LFS to buy the right tubing for the return pipes. They told me that they dont stock them and that I had to go somewhere else to get them. So does anyone know of a good tubing and where to get it so I can hook my return pump in my sump up to my return pipes? I need there to be a T in the line so the water will go to both pipes. Thanks in advance.

kevin34

Forgot to mention my tank is a 125 gallon with a mega flow overflow system. My return pump is a mag 18.

turningtim

Are the bulkheads for the return threaded or slip? You could use either vinyl tubing or Flex PVC (spa-flex) I prefer spa-flex b/c you can use PVC fittings and it doesn't reduce flow as much as barb fittings and vinyl tube. In addition to the T you should consider putting a union and shut off for pump maintenance.
I would guess that 1" would work. Or you could go 1.25" to a T and then 1" up to the returns.
HTH
Tim

kevin34

Thanks for the response. Im not really too smart when it comes to the plumbing stuff so can you explain what a union and shut off are, how to install them, and where I can find them? The bulkhead isnt a smooth surface so I am guessing that its threaded. Here is a pic of the bulkhead.

turningtim

That is a barb type fitting. I wouold just go with vinyl b/c it will all be the same. You can get vinyl at Home depot or lowes. Don't know from the looks it could be 3/4" or 1". If you measure the diameter I can tell you what size hose.
For barb type fittings you'll look in the sprinkler or plumb isle of HD or Lowes. You will need a PVC bushing to go on your pump and then add a barb then the vinyl. If you want to go with a shut off and union those are in the PVC fitting isle of those stores. You will need to get thread/thread (FPT/FPT) on the fittings and then add MPT/MPT barbs to them. You will also need plastic hose clamps to secure the tubing.
Measure the barbs on the BH's and the output of your pump (should be 3/4" MPT)
Opps sorry MPT= male pipe thread FPT- Female pipe thread.
Tim

kevin34

The bulkhead and return pump output are both 3/4". The return pump output is threaded. Does that change anything?

turningtim

Nope you're good.
So, starting from the pump
3/4" FPT/barb this should thread on the pump and give you a barb end to start. then you'll need a small length of hose.
next, barb/MPT -> union (FPT both sides) -> MPT/barb -> hose ->
barb/MPT -> shutoff (FPT both ends) -> MPT/barb -> hose up to the bulkhead. Don't forget hose clamps and try and use plastic. Even the stainless steel ones will rust.
MPT/ barb and Barb/MPT are the same thing I just tried to orient the way it should be put together.
You can use teflon tape and this will lube the threads a bit so you can get the good and tight.
I'll go see if I have the pieces you'll be looking for and post a pic.
Tim

turningtim

The union will allow you to break the line and be able to pull the pump out of the sump for maintenance. The shut (aboave the union) will allow you to turn the line closed so no water will come back into the sump. In normal power out the sump fills with water and it is difficult not to make a mess with the added water.
The shut-off isn't necessary b/c your sump shouldn't over flow when in power out. The shut-off will also allow you turn slow flow down if need be. Its just a convenience.
But the union is a must! You will need the access to the return pump!
Tim

kevin34

Ok let me know if I am right. The union goes right above the return pump and the shutoff goes just below the T?

turningtim

Yes and now that I think about it you may be able to just thread the union right on to the pump and go from there.
You will be able to get a 3/4" barbed T and yes anywhere between the union and the T.
So you want to get 3/4" ID (inside diameter) not OD! It will probably be and inch OD.

kevin34

Could I just get this type of shut off valve (either a Y or a single leading to a T) and put it right on my pump? Then lead the tubing off of a barb on each end? This wouldnt that allow be to shut off the water during a power outage and when I need to clean the pump?

turningtim

You CAN NOT use anything metal or that has metal parts. It will corrode and the metal will end up in the tank. Not a good thing.

kevin34

I know the plastic would be safe but what I should have said was will a garden hose adaptor like that work for my system? I will probably get one where the base of the adaptor twists independently so I wont have to turn the entire setup to remove the pump. But a piece like that has a shut off and I found one that fits right onto my return pump. So with a shut off right above the pump wouldnt that allow me to remove the pump and shut off the flow when the power is out?

chilwil84

i wouldnt use any part that is for hoses they may not be usable for potable water(ie drinking water) so you dont want to use them. HD has many T fittings that are in multiple sizes of hose barbs. this is gonna be a bad pic but i hope it give you the idea. go to one of the big advertisers in the fish mags web pages and look for plumbing parts and you should be able to see what your looking for

kevin34

I have a T already but am still looking for a shut off valve so I can stop water from flowing back into my tank when there is a power outage and so I can stop the flow when I need to remove the pump to clean it.