Sump vs. refugium

chrisrench

So whats the difference. Why couldn't I throw some live sand, a light, and some Macro in my sump? WOuldn't that be the exact same thing as setting up a refugium???:notsure:

footbag

Why couldn't I throw some live sand, a light, and some Macro in my sump?
Because then it would be a refugium.

razoreqx

Originally posted by Powdertoastman
so which is better? we only have a sump on our 150 right now, but i want to turn it into a fuge, is it any better then a sump?

Well the sump is going to have the same flow rate as your display tank.. If your trying to grow pods thats going to be way to high they'll be sucked out into your display tank before they can mature to do anything beneficial.
Flow rates in a fuge typically are much slower than that of the rest of your system.

footbag

Well first of all you will have to find a way to prevent the return pump from sucking up sand or macros. You can do this with baffles easily. Also make sure that you will not need the sump space for other things.(Skimmer, top-off, heater, etc...) That said the nutreient export and added micro organisms should be a big benefit over a sump which right now probably doesn't do much.

B

bildotang

I was advised by people on this forum not to use a wet/dry for my new 150 reef tank. It had something to do with the nitrate levels building due to buildup inside the bio balls.
This weekend I went to a LFS, and they had a beautiful 125 reef setup, and their wet/dry (refug!) had live rock where the bio balls would usually be placed. I thought this would be a good solution for my tank. A high flow wet/dry with my skimmer and UV sterilizer, and then I could pump a lower flow into a refugium. I just don't want to run without something where the bio balls go in my wet/dry.
Anyone else seen something like this?