sump $?

mr . salty

That is quite a loaded question.There are many variables envolved in setting up a sump,so putting a price on one is really impossible.Unless you buy a compleate setup(sump,return pump,bio media,overflow box,and all the hoses).These "kits" are available online.CHECK OUT SWFISHES DRY GOODS.But a ball park$$$ cold be anywhere from $100 to over $500.

There can also be some inexpensive ways to get a sump. Here is a idea for you. If you have 29 gallon tank you could get a ten gallon tank and turn it into a sump. You can get a new 10 gallon for $8.00. Then you would need a return pump. Youll have to see what size you should get. There is a certain gallons per hour that the pump will work at. I do not know these specs, because the tank I bought was all setup. Depending on the size of the pump it should range from $10 to $20. Then all you would need is the plumbing fictures. The plumbing is optional. You could use pvc pipe or you could use regular hoses. Again I dont know the prices but you could get a good home maid sump for less money. If your handy with these sort of things.
[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: just_got_tanked ]

mr . salty

A return pump will surly cost more than 10 or 20 dollars.You cant even get a good powerhead for that.And a powerhead will NOT work as return pump.They can NOT handle the pressure needed to pump the water up to the tank.This is called "head space"The higher the water is to be pumped,the more gph you loose.A good return pump alone could easily run $100 alone....

ocellaris_keeper

I was just in the LPS and the marine Tech showed me they're 125 gal reef tank with a $8.00 10 gal and a $42 80GPH sump - (Ehiem 1046 Designed to run either internal or external in fresh or saltwater aquariums. These dependable pumps will handle most all delivery needs. 80pgh with a maximum head of 4 feet at only 5 watts. Input 12/16 mm, output 9/12mm.)
I am going to put this setup on my system as soon as I figure out how much the holidays are going to set me back.

broomer5

bud_on_tap
You said a 125 gallon reef tank with a 10 gallon sump. What's the use of even having a sump that small? I suppose you could cram a heater, skimmer and simplify water changes with that sump, but still sort of small for that set up. Would be tight to get all that and the return pump in there.
A sump can only normally run half full, so a 10 gallon would only increase 5 gallons additional capacity to the system. And 80 GPH isn't squat for a 125 either. A good powerhead would do that alone. Not my choice for a 125 gallon reef tank.
I agree with Mr.Salty on this one.
I'd expect you'd have to spend somewhere between $175.00 - $200.00 bucks to do it decently.
Good Return Pump = $75-$100
Good Overflow = $50-$100
Sump Itself = cheap tank or Rubbermaid Container $25-$30
Hoses, Clamps, Fittings = $25.00
Broomer

car guy

i can build a 20 gallon sump (the most you'll ever need in almost any home aquarium)for under a 100 bucks, amiracle overflow 25$
rio pump 20$ (depending on how much return flow you want and how big the pump is), tank 15$, plexglass for dividers 13$, and avout 25$ for fittings and plumbing or hosing, equals 98$, ya'll got shot down...ohhh

broomer5

Car guy wins the prize !
He can build the cheapest piece of crap sump on the planet!!
Congratulations
[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: broomer5 ]

mr . salty

The cheapest piece of crap with a timebomb for a pump...Hell,even I could jerry rig a sump for less than $100,but I would not expect it too work,or last more than a week...Let's get real here.A SUMP IS NOT THE PLACE TO SKIMP ON YOUR SETUP....

ironreef

IMO the most of the $$ need to go on quality pumps, lights besides the tank. If you use a skimmer use a quality one. But for a 29g you can use a 10g tank and a mag5 pump or dolphin dp560= @$60 good or fair pumps. I wouldn't spend $150 on a small tank for a big pump

acuraman2

I just got done building a sump for <$35
10 gallon aquarium 8.00
little giant return pump 19.99 from HD
DIY overflow- 5.00

Mr. Salty:
The sump that I have is built onto the back of my tank. There is an overflow that goes into a sump where my protein skimmer and my heater are. Then it goes onto a trickle plate that then runs through my bio-ball system. There it fills my return sump and there is a Rio 1100 pumping water through a 2 foot hose back into the tank. I have another Rio 600 in the tank for water flow.

I also want to know why you called the Rio a timebomb. I hope that you arent saying that they are bad pumps. That would mean that my 1000 dollar tank can easily become a toilet bowl.

ironreef

rio especially the big one 2100 2500 and 3100 not sure on the 1100 but when they get dirty they can clog = not moving = they get hot= the epoxy used is really thin so it crackes= copper. Not theres alot of ppl who have luck but there enough ppl who had them do this to call them a timebomb. the smaller 600-800 don't seem to have as much problem, IMO they aren't that cheap and a better pump is the mag= @same price rio do get dirty quick

acuraman2

Ive had my sump running with a DIY overflow and 20 dollar pump for 2 weeks with no signs of problems. Worst comes to worst my pump stops working all thatll happen is flow will stop to the sump.

option720

I have a 29 gallon tank and I just finished my sump. Here is everything that I used and the cost involved.
DIY Overflow-$60
Return Pump-$135 (Gen-x MAK 4, 1190 GPH)
DIY Bullet 1 skimmer$80
Various Plumbing Parts$30
Total$305
You can do it right the first time or do it wrong a bunch of time. Check out my page to see a picture. http://www.geocities.com/option720/sump.html

car guy

i've put more money into my freshwater setups than most of you will put into your saltwaters setups, and thats the same for my saltwater tanks, i've put more money into a 29 than salty has with his 130 fish only with live rock, wow that must be a lot of work maintaining, and rio's are perfectly fine pumps i have never had a problem with one yet, all these people must be jealous cause big dave and i get amazing deals on our dry goods, i've forgotten more than most of you people will ever know

broomer5

sorry to hear of your head injury Car guy, hope your memory returns
[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: broomer5 ]

mr . salty

CARGUY,,,You crack me up...BE WARNED,attacking members of this BB in attamted fLAMES is aginst the rules.(this is a no flame BB)Unless you are just trolling,,,Then it's just plain WRONG.And lastly,,,I don't think anyone on this BB is jealous about your so called deals on dry goods.....STAY ON SUBJECT