Sump?

grue

Increased water Volume
Allows Skimmers,Ca reactors, Heaters Etc a place to live out of sight
Allows you to Dose in a area for better and a bit slower dispersion (Fresh water Kalk Iron etc.
Grue

michaeltx

everything they said and a clean look to the tank sense the equipment is not hanging off the tank.
Mike

I understand what all of you guys said above. But why do some of the sumps have such complex looking designs (baffles and such) in them?

michaeltx

the baffles keep water levels in certain areas of the sump seperated and at a certain water level. The baffles also act as bubble traps to keep them from returning to the main tank where they could cause problems.
Mike

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2827640
the baffles keep water levels in certain areas of the sump seperated and at a certain water level. The baffles also act as bubble traps to keep them from returning to the main tank where they could cause problems.
Mike
Wow I have alot to learn.
I was just trying to figure out why some of them looked so complicated...I would like to buy another larger tank and run a sump setup for the clean look but I am trying to find out more about it first.

michaeltx

yeah there is alot to learn on them
the basic thing is that it can be as simple or as complicated as you need for your tank. there are some plans on here for a simple DIY setup with a few glass paynes and silicone to purchasing one ready made.
I like a sump/refugium combo setup so I can grow macroalgaes and banish badies to there without having to rehome or kill them.
Mike

I'm sure I will learn alot more relating to the subject. Right now I am looking at getting a bigger FOWLR tank and running a sump setup. I don't think that sump needs to be quite so complicated?

michaeltx

it reallyl doesnt it does need the baffles though if not its just asking for trouble in the system. I have tryed baffless and baffled I will never do another non-baffled sump again.
Mike

I guess I've got my research ahead of me then. I just couldn't see why the baffles were neccesary, and if they were why they are placed where they are.

michaeltx

the baffles act as dividers so if you put rock and sand in the tank it will keep it out of your pumps and anything else that you decide to keep in the sump. it will also keep the water level constant so the incoming water wont splash with the water level changes and keep air bubbles from coming through the the pumps causing a spray of bubbles in the tank causing it to look cloudy all the time and bubbles from attaching to the side of the tank.
those are the main reasons and functions of the baffles but they do have other effects aswell.
Mike

al mc

Originally Posted by LKGRenegade22
http:///forum/post/2827699
I guess I've got my research ahead of me then. I just couldn't see why the baffles were neccesary, and if they were why they are placed where they are.
If you are handy and want to make your own there is a great 'do it yourself'
(DYI) site.....if you google the words 'melevs' and 'reef' you should be able to find it.
IMHO, baffles are, as Michael said, not absolutely necessary but I would not have a sump without them.

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2827706
the baffles act as dividers so if you put rock and sand in the tank it will keep it out of your pumps and anything else that you decide to keep in the sump. it will also keep the water level constant so the incoming water wont splash with the water level changes and keep air bubbles from coming through the the pumps causing a spray of bubbles in the tank causing it to look cloudy all the time and bubbles from attaching to the side of the tank.
those are the main reasons and functions of the baffles but they do have other effects aswell.
Mike
Gotcha. Now that makes perfect sense. Thanks. Is there a certain size your sump should be relating to your DT?

michaeltx

I always go for the biggest that I can fit under the stand. that will actually limit you a lot as far as size. especially if you have a centerbrace on the cabinet for the doors.
Mike