Sun coral collection in the nano on a budget

N

nonphotosynt

If anyone is keeping (or kept in the past) sun collection (several large colonies, not few polyps) in the nano, less than 20g, and on a budget, allowing less than Remora skimmer and mysis feedings, post please how did you do that. including fighting aiptasia, feeding and handling nutrients load.
Will be very much appreciated, and not only by me, I guess - this is a common problem.

mx#28

Posts should also mention how long the coral has been kept and report the long-term failure or success.

peef

I had one big colony with a freaken TON of other corals and 3 fish in a 24 nano for well over a year with not one problem. I bought a "Kent Marine Nitrate Sponge" The "doctors" have it. It absorbes all the nitrates in the tank. My trates are always a literal zero. I think you should be fine with one of those. Feed each polyp individually at least 2 times a week but with that setup like you want don't (at least do your best) let any food just float away into oblivian. They will digest the majority and not expell too much waste. With a weekly 20% waterchange I would say you should have NO problems at all.

N

nonphotosynt

peef:
Can you tell a little more:
- what food are you using, what amount for one feeding,
- what tools are you using for individual feeding of polyps,
- what filtration do you have, including skimmer (if any), live rock and algae, frequency of cleaning,
- should Nitrate sponge be used in recommended on bottle amounts, for how long 1 bottle lasts? Do you use phosphate remover?
Photos of the tank setup and filtration will be helpful too.
Thanks.
I'm currently trying to make efficient setup for a several large colonies of sun coral and its cousins on a budget.
This means shallow tank for easy access for a manual feeding, smallest possible volume (without corals touching each other and restricting access for a feeding and cleaning), allowing more water changes, skimmer and biomedia/LR in the separate block, that can be that can be disconnected from main tank during feeding, with skimmer continuing skim all the time.
For a big number of adult polyps feeding by washed mysis and Ocean Plankton is cost prohibitive (8 cubes every second day, i.e. 15 days x 8 cubes = 120 cubes, $25+ per month only for suns). Flakes were not accepted by most corals, New Life Spectrum 0.3mm pellets were eaten and didn't make huge impact on water quality, comparing to grocery seafood, but a lot of them were spit back during the night, and corals slowly started looking not too good on pellets feeding. This leaves the grocery seafood, but even washed, it drastically worsens water quality. Mostly liquid fraction, not removed by skimmers (tried Tunze Nano DOC smallest and Rio Nano skimmer HOB).
Aged biomedia (Seachem Matrix, amount for 100g on the 8g tank, plus LR) from the big tank, part of it in the filtration block (small side sump), part - in Tom Rapids canister filter, is not keeping up with processing nutrients after seafood. Even if leftovers are removed, smallest particles were filtered out through micron sock 50 microns and less, changed twice after feeding, and skimmer, skimming a lot of wet foam. Some ammonia next day, Neutralized, of course.
For 1 big colony in 3/4g pico same feeding without skimming and biomedia, but with full water changes by aged water after feeding worked well (for 4 months, then moved to a big skimmed tank. Colony started reproducing in pico).

But not for several such colonies in 5g tank with 2g sump, tried (few weeks, currently).

And 2 yrs between these tanks, in 90g w ASM G-3 skimmer:

Main mass of yellow is the same first colony, fragged, and its babies.

peef

Originally Posted by nonphotosynt
http:///forum/post/2751018
peef:
Can you tell a little more:
- what food are you using, what amount for one feeding,
- what tools are you using for individual feeding of polyps,
- what filtration do you have, including skimmer (if any), live rock and algae, frequency of cleaning,
- should Nitrate sponge be used in recommended on bottle amounts, for how long 1 bottle lasts? Do you use phosphate remover?
Photos of the tank setup and filtration will be helpful too.
Thanks.
I'm currently trying to make efficient setup for a several large colonies of sun coral and its cousins on a budget.
This means shallow tank for easy access for a manual feeding, smallest possible volume (without corals touching each other and restricting access for a feeding and cleaning), allowing more water changes, skimmer and biomedia/LR in the separate block, that can be that can be disconnected from main tank during feeding, with skimmer continuing skim all the time.
For a big number of adult polyps feeding by washed mysis and Ocean Plankton is cost prohibitive (8 cubes every second day, i.e. 15 days x 8 cubes = 120 cubes, $25+ per month only for suns). Flakes were not accepted by most corals, New Life Spectrum 0.3mm pellets were eaten and didn't make huge impact on water quality, comparing to grocery seafood, but a lot of them were spit back during the night, and corals slowly started looking not too good on pellets feeding. This leaves the grocery seafood, but even washed, it drastically worsens water quality. Mostly liquid fraction, not removed by skimmers (tried Tunze Nano DOC smallest and Rio Nano skimmer HOB).
Aged biomedia (Seachem Matrix, amount for 100g on the 8g tank, plus LR) from the big tank, part of it in the filtration block (small side sump), part - in Tom Rapids canister filter, is not keeping up with processing nutrients after seafood. Even if leftovers are removed, smallest particles were filtered out through micron sock 50 microns and less, changed twice after feeding, and skimmer, skimming a lot of wet foam. Some ammonia next day, Neutralized, of course.
For 1 big colony in 3/4g pico same feeding without skimming and biomedia, but with full water changes by aged water after feeding worked well (for 4 months, then moved to a big skimmed tank. Colony started reproducing in pico).

But not for several such colonies in 5g tank with 2g sump, tried (few weeks, currently).

And 2 yrs between these tanks, in 90g w ASM G-3 skimmer:

Main mass of yellow is the same first colony, fragged, and its babies.

The food I used was Marine quizine mysis and carnivore diet. I use one cube of each unrinsed as I think it washes away alot of the goodies. I don't really use a 'set' amount of food as sometimes a bit more/less would get to each polyp. To feed each polyp I would use a pipette that is just wide enough at the tip to not clog up with the mysis. My filtration is pretty much just live rock rubble. I have a Nano cube so in 3 chambers.....1st: Filter Floss then Nitrate sponge then Live Rock Rubble. 2nd: Lots of Live rock rubble. 3rd just the return pump. I don't have any skimmer or anything else.
I would recommend using as much of the nitrate sponge as you can without getting like, CRAAAAAZY with it. I have about 2 cups of the granuals in there in my media bag. The box says it will last for 6 months but I change every 3 or so. No phos remover 99% of the time although very occasionaly I will run some. You can get away with feeding the meaty food once a week and still have growth. Just halfway through the week put in some "Marine Snow and phytoplankton". Be sure to turn off the filtration during that time for at least 1/2 hour to ensure they get what they want.

N

nonphotosynt

Thanks!
Post picture of the tank, please - to see the whole setup at once. My skimmerless tanks were unable to handle such bioload.
Anybody else? With grocery seafood blend, maybe.

timeless1

Hello All,
I have three colonies in my 10g nano reef. One has about 50+ heads, another has about 35+heads, and the other has about 30+ heads. I have had the first two coloines for about 3 months and they are all doing well. I feed them a combination of live brine, frozen brine, mysis, photoplankton(5-200 micron)Kent Chromaplex, and sometimes table shrimp( small pieses). There are almost always extended duing the day. I have found that if I turn off my filter for about 1 hour and just let my pump run almost all of the food is eaten. I have several other corals and a few fish that eat the remainder of the food. I have had only one issue with over feeding the tank and that is red slime algae, and a few more water changes. I have a filter that is rated for a 30g tank, and I change the filter media, every few weeks(2.5-3) A small cost for such amazing and beautiful corals. I also have a Red chili sponge that will accept some of the leftovers floating in the tank. I use a medical suringe to spot feed as well as by hand, and all of the suns are doing great and lots of new heads are popping out. I will post some pics in the next day or so. Also I just remembered that I don't have a skimmer on the tank, I also have about 25+lbs of LR in tank
Timeless1