SUN CORAL. Someone pleeeeze offer up some experience, testimony, and advice!!!

hairtrigger

Okey dokey. I was at the LFS, and as usual, got suckered into buying more than I bargained for. I picked up a nice blue cup coral, a nice colt coral, and a sun coral, tubastraea.
I remembered the sun coral was low light. But, I couldn't remember much else. I asked the LFS guy (this place has a wishy washey, but generally good rep) and he said "oh yeah yeah, it's easy." Didn't mention direct feeding. What limited info I've found shows that it is really a tough coral to keep alive. Please offer some help. Thanks. Oh, and if you know anything about the cup coral, that too. I know about it for the most part, just looking for any extra. Thanks again. :cool:

jim672

HT,
I've admired the Sun Coral too. Then I remember what I've read about it......it is not photosynthetic. It has to be fed by hand and each polp has to be feed seperately. I've also read that the polys open mostly at night, when the lights are off, so you don't really get to enjoy them as much as other corals.
They really are great looking, though. Good luck with yours!
Jim

blueberryboomer

We feed ours using a medicine dropper or a turkey baster, squeeze up brine and squirt lightly on the open polyps.
If you have it in a darker spot in your tank, it will open during the day. Good Luck! Lisa

jayster

I asked my LFS guy the same thing about the sun coral. He also says you must feed each polyp on a daily basis.

hairtrigger

Hmmm, as long as you feed it, it seems like it will do well. What about Kent's microvert? How is that for it?

pyro383

do a search for sun polyps, there is a thread with at least 50 responses. Tells all about, light, feeding, types fed and training.

reefur.

i brought a little one back from the keys, so far its doing well in my buddys tank. I dont know much about them though, sorry i cant offer any good advice.

hairtrigger

That's cool, good to know. I think as long as mine eats I will be happy. Hopefully. I am still a little sketched out by it for some reason. :cool:

thered

Where is this store you went to? I am always looking for new places. And places that may give spotty info is better to know about sooner than later.

spsfreak100

I recommend you make a 'feeding cap' for the coral. You can use a 2l coke bottle, and cut it in half. Throw away the bottom. Drill a small hole in the cap, and attach a small tube to it. You then can take a little injector, to inject the food to. You'll might be there all night with a baster. I had some pictures, but they aren't working on this board. I can try to upload them later on.
HTH
Graham

nm reef

Great coral but a bit high maintenance. Mine does well with direct feedings after lights out with mysis/brine mixed with DT's phyton plankton. So far its doing good. Seldom opens much during the day...but at night there is good polyp extension and the color is bright. I do keep mine in a recess at the lower part of the reef...out of direct light a bit.Circulation is sort of low.:cool:

hairtrigger

I like that feeding method SPS, sounds very innovative. I think I will try it. And NM, I think I am noticing the same with mine. I have it under a cave and its polyps never really open much in the day. I have yet to see them at night because it is only a day old in my tank now. But, I might see something after work tonight. Basically, if its polyps are closed, it isnt hungry? If theyre open, it wants food right?

pyro383

correct, whe you feed the tank, blow some past the coral, it senses the food and starts coming out. Do this for about a week but don't feedd it directly when you do that. After lights out feed it as you do. This will train them to come out when everyone else is being fed and then you feed them to (good coral, that aboy). They can be under direct lighting just watch the algae and blow it off. They thrive under strong current but I stop that when I feed.