Sun Corals

elena

I am writing in defense of Sun Corals. I purchased a medium size one a week ago. The fish store said it was difficult to keep and my husband an experienced reef keeper also discouraged me not to buy it. They said it requires target feeding everyday. I looked up a picture of it and the colors were beautiful. Well a week has gone by and now it is my favorite coral, the colors are amazing. It opens up every day around feeding time.

cre8or23

give it some time you'll see. if you dont feed each one of those polyps they will eventually Die you will se the bace of it start to fade to white.
A tip you can try is the coke bottle method of feeding and shoot some brine shrimp down through the opening of the bottle. but thats about all you can do for it. Oh and keep it out of bright light.

elena

Hey, you're the Xeniz guy too! I'm using a turkey baster any feeding brine and marine cuisine. How long have you had your Sun Coral? My is at the bottom of my 20g, I have noticed it a night creature.

cre8or23

nah it was too much work for me to keep up w/ eventually it all died. but on the bright side i recycled the coral and used it to glue frags of mushrooms on.

spline9

Its interesting because I've had one for some time now. I used to feed it every other day. I got lazy and only fed it once a week. I got even lazier (well, got busier at work stayin super late) and now I feed MAYBE once a month. Honestly, I probably only fed it once in the past 3 months. It only opens up super big when I feed it. Otherwise it opens "normally" when I feed the fish. No signs of tissue recession.
I dont think that each-and-every-polyp needs to be target fed but you should try to get as many as possible. I think they are pretty hardy once you get them to a fairly healthy stage. The "feeding hat" method is a neat idea but doesnt work for me due to limited space. I actually take the coral out, into another container of tank water to feed. Then I place it back in the tank. This keeps the other critters from stealing its food and prevents the water from fouling from uneaten food.
Also, keeping it out of light is recommended only to keep algae from growing on it. The light has no effect on the coral itself. Mine is in an unshaded location and is doing well.

elena

Great to hear good news about Sun Corals. I thougt I was going to have to feed everyday for life. I will cut down to every other day. It does open beautifully after feeding and stays open all night. I have a 20g shallow tank so that helps me a lot to reach the polyps. The shrimp do go steal the food.