sun corals

chadman

i am having a very hard time finding a spot in which my sun corals are all in a shady spot....will the lights harm the sun coral or is it just that they do not need it? the ones in the shade come out usually at least twice a day for a while...they are awsome...the ones in the light only come out after the lights have turned off

ifusayso

Originally Posted by chadman
i am having a very hard time finding a spot in which my sun corals are all in a shady spot....will the lights harm the sun coral or is it just that they do not need it? the ones in the shade come out usually at least twice a day for a while...they are awsome...the ones in the light only come out after the lights have turned off

According to my "Marine Invertebrates" book by Ronald Shimek, they prefer dim lighting and too much light results in overgrowth by algae. Personally, I keep mine in a little alcove but they do get light from my PC's. I have had it for about 3 months. They open every afternoon(right after tank feeding) and stay open until some time during the night. I guess it depends on the light intesity they are getting, but it doesn't seem they need complete darkness.

wangotango

mine seem to be doing better with a little flow. put them somewhere that will make it easy to feed as well, since feeding it is needed.

chadman

yeah i know...i am going to my lfs this weekend i am going to purchase some HoldFast and i 'm gonna stick it under a rock where it will be easily accesable

grmreefer2

u dont have to waste the money on holdfast.. i got some superglue GEL made by krazy glue and its just fine...BTW im back chadman! I cant seem to stay away! I am addicted to helping people in the hobby with the knowledge I pick up along the way!
many LFS's do NOT use the holdfast cuz it costs so much and is not necessary!
just be sure it is the GEL.. not the runny liquid!

grmreefer2

i picked myself up a few more corals too! i now have my blue, green, and some brown zoos... as well as the red shroom, I cant believe they deleted my "How about pics of your other hobbies" post!, i also now have a nice xenia frag that came on an extra large EMPTY snail shell (that I hope my crabs dont take housing to!), and got a candy cane coral!.. plus the octobubble one too! I had to change names and download a free hide my IP program, but I am still here to help!

phoenixfla

Lighting does not matter. I have 1134 watts on my 125 and keep both a black and a orange sun coral on the bottom (sand). They do great! They start opening up after the daylight lights go out and just the actinic lights are on and then fully open up after the actinics are off.
Here is my Black:

phoenixfla

Originally Posted by Clown52
That Black is an awsome coral! You should be very proud of that one!
Thanks!
I am thinking about getting another. If your feeding one every other day you might as well feed a whole bunch. I am also looking for a red sun coral.
There is a "Giant Sun Coral" on a large auction site right now, but seller wants $380. I just can not bring myself to do it. I had never seen one before.