sun corals

alix2.0

everyone show off your sun corals! im thinking about getting a couple more, and mines even getting its own room in my sump when i set my 75 up.
edit// GAH! i just noticed how terribly outdated my pics are. off to get new ones!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have this anymore, but I really did enjoy it. No matter how tired, had to wait til lights were out for an hour to feed this baby. lol This is from SWF.com.

n8ball2013

when they first came in to my lfs stores they were 129.99 i picked it up for 70. I dont know how rare they are. one of them has two and the other has three colonies. They go to the same ditstributor so they get the same things alot. I do know ours have sprouted about 5 new heads and are not as hard to take care of as made out to be.

n8ball2013

for anyone interested here is my feeding ritual. Every other day I feed the tank. First I feed the fish. So a cube of mysis. once the feeding is over I'll wait about 30 minutes for the polyps to fully extend. then just take a baster and spray them lightly with cyclopeeze or mysis. They'll catch the food and start to receed a bit. I do this at night. My light cycle runs from 230 to 10pm so Ill normally feed around 9. That gives me a good 15 minutes to observe them in their fully extended state. They will stay open all night and until the next morning. Im sure if I fed closer to the lights coming on I could get them to stay open during the day.

reefmate75

i have a buddy that has trained his to open during the day, he said all you have to do is feed cyclopeeze and they will open up and just make sure they get some of them and after a few weeks they will open up when they belive they might get something to eat, so no feeding at night and they will open during the day and close at night

ime these will stay open in a nutrient rich tank my feed is on an auto drip and mine are all most never closed they do close up for about 1-2 hrs in the height of the light cycle but if u can see white coloration towards the heads in the lfs these are the healthy ones feed often and feed fatty foods like oyster eggs and mysis. blended down of course

scotty37

Ok so now I have a question about these.... I have one that is pink, that looks like the ones listed for sale on this site.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4
Is this just a different type that the ones pictured on this thread, or do all of them open up and pop polyps out of them? I havent seen anything out of it at all, but Im excited theres possibility.

scotty37

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2603817
I don't have this anymore, but I really did enjoy it. No matter how tired, had to wait til lights were out for an hour to feed this baby. lol This is from SWF.com.

The one in this post looks identical to mine, except mines a little smaller. Saw it at the lfs store this weekend, he had it for 12 dollars and I couldnt resist. I can see now on one of the heads that it is sprouting yellow just slightly.

metweezer

I have freeze dried cyclopeeze. In order to feed my sun coral should I add some tank water and use a syringe? How about frozen cyclops? Is this the same thing? Can I feed frozen cyclops to my sun corals?
Thanks, Steve

A

alexmir

You can feed frozen cyclops, that is what i fed mine. Just melt the cube in tank water, then drain, then add some more tank water, and syringe those bad boys!!!

I miss my sun coral now, It was the reason i ever got hair algea, my tank wasnt breaking down the extra food well enough.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2604132
Wow! BEAUTIFUL sun coral!! How much did you get it for? Are black sun corals rare? I hardly see them on this forum and I have never seen them in real life.
Theres a couple different species of sun coral that are in the trade, and then black sun coral is one of them. I believe its like 6-7 different species, all look alike, some of those species vary slightly, and then black sun coral is Tubastrea micrantha
. Very nice corals.