sun corals

peef

My thing is that I really have NO idea what a reasonable price would be. I think it is right around 50-60 polyps now with all the babies. And obviously its very very healthy. What do you think a good price is?

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by slt wtr stupid
http:///forum/post/2712659
when you do it that way what do you do about everything that falls to the sand bed?
My entire cleanup crew is waiting outside the gate. Once the gate is lifted.... VOILA!!!! NO MORE FOOD

peef

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2715290
I asked $50 when I sold mine and had tons of takers, and yours is possibly the best sun coral on here
Well thanks for the compliment!!! What do you think I should ask for?

cranberry

There are no light requirements.... you could keep them in the dark if you so wished. You need to feed every single mouth everyday. They are labour intensive and hard on the bioload of your tank.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/2747197
There are no light requirements.... you could keep them in the dark if you so wished. You need to feed every single mouth everyday. They are labour intensive and hard on the bioload of your tank.
Agreed that they are hard on the bioload and feeding every mouth when feeding. You can get away with feeding 2 or 3 times a week at a bare minimum. If you want them to look as pretty and grow as fast though, Cranberry is right on with feeding every day.
Very nice shots cranberry

zeke92

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2604132
Wow! BEAUTIFUL sun coral!! How much did you get it for? Are black sun corals rare? I hardly see them on this forum and I have never seen them in real life.
same...i want a black sun coral.

N

nonphotosynt

This, Tubastrea diaphana, is as usual as lemon yellow sun corals:

I had seen them in LFS several times, while the orange-yellow is almost always available. A couple of times black and orange sun corals were on the same rock for one price.
T. micrantha (link), also black, is more rare, requires higher flow and preferably daily feedings.

flricordia

got this one in a trade with peef. Also have a small black one morval sent me and it has already grown a new head. It's off in a dark cave so can't get a pic.

V

vinnyraptor

no lighting requirements. what other corals do you know of that dont require expensive lights? and what do they eat?
Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/2747197

N

nonphotosynt

Do You Think It Is Possible To Have More Then One Sun In A 75 Gallong Reeef Tank With Out Polluting It To Bad
Take a look at Daniela Stettler tank:
pdf presentation, interview, more (all are in German, translation can be made by Google language tools, and in French.
Italian reefing website acquaportal.it has photos of many tanks, mostly Mediterranean fauna, with multiple sun corals.
As I understand, the key is to have an oversized very efficient skimmer and feed by washed whole food, like mysis, artemia (brine shrimp), Pacific or Ocean Plankton. You can compare by yourself effect of homemade grocery seafood and mysis on developing undesired growth in the tank (not so NO3 or PO4, but microalgae, hair algae, red cyano, bacterial growth, aiptasia and so on).
This is with insufficient skimmer and not optimal water flow, plus frequent feeding by grocery seafood, with other unresolved issues. 90g:

what other corals do you know of that don't require expensive lights?
Love the topic! Allow me to elaborate a little, from my experience, that started with the same question.
There are non-photosynthetic corals, that don't require light at all, but most of them should be fed a lot, that requires a very efficient significantly oversized skimmer (>$250), wavemaker or set of powerheads, doing the same - moving detritus to the filtration/skimming. Most are using automatic feeders (not the usual fish feeders, unless modified), probiotics, UV and, some, ozone. Economy on the electricity cost is overcame by cost of salt for water changes and its delivery, food and filtration. Compare pure cost of the difference between 150W to 250W, apart from necessity of cooling (chiller or AC), not the whole monthly electricity bill.
Very few (known to me) are using refugium type of the tank, without too much additional feeding. Very few non-photosynthetic corals live there (see the thread at Ultimate Reef Azoo forum about Chili coral keepers).
Another option is tank with low-light tolerant corals. Less water changes, less filtering, reasonable light, but no challenge.
I kept under 18W 50-50 combo PC (12" deep tank, 6g): white pom-pom xenia, green star polyps, neon-green candycane, hammers and frogspawn, hairy mushroom, white lemnalia. Slightly more was necessary for bright red mushrooms, blastomussa merletti, anthelia and purple lemnalia.
Less than 1W'gal (90g, 48" L x 24" D, 110W PC): all of the above from the middle to the top of the tank, gsp, that are losing color, and Kenya tree at the bottom.
Another option is deep water fish and fire shrimp tank, or tube anemones tank (this requires no light, but the moderate sized peachy one expanded same day to 11" in home tank. Nothing special in equipment or water changes. here is example of tank with many tube anemones in it.
Or sps (or LPS) nano with 70W DIY MH or Viper MH.