Sun Polyps

bayouguy

I have been looking at corals to populate my tank. I really like the look of sun polyps but I've heard these are not the lowest-maintenance corals. Can anyone tell me about them? Are they relatively hardy? Do you have to specifically feed them? Light requirements?

gnelson

Sun Polyps, (tubstrea Family) Great looking corals, moderate care needs.
In the oceans they are mostly found in caves or shade areas. However in a tank I have heard that they can be kept in direct light or not. They do not have zooxanthellae, therefore NO PHOTOSYNTHESIS.
They need to be feed often, 2-3 times a week. Brine, or plankton mixtures ect.
They are sensitive to nitrates, and water conditions, but have the ability to reproduce around the tank.
I have seen them for sale somewhat cheap, but many of my LFS to not understand the need to feed them and they look half dead by the time I've seen them.
Graham

blueberryboomer

Hi, we have 2 clumps of them in our tank, we have tryed different spots for them and have finally found they like the spots with less light. Ours opened for the first time about a week ago, we feed them 2-3 times a week, ours have spread but have not totally opened since..We have a pic of them on our web site if you want to take a look..click my profile and click on our web page. LOL Lisa :D

sbustobante

I had orange and yellow in a tank for over a year before they succumbed to what I suspect was a bacterial infection.
They don't like the brightest light, but tank placement should give them a lot of current, and should be somewhere where you can feed them with a turkey baster or pipette.
I fed mine live brine 2-3 times a week, and they were growing new polyps like crazy. I tried other foods, and the coral accepted them, but non-live foods would sink to the bottom instead of staying suspended in the water column where the coral could catch it, so it was kind of wasteful. I fed my biggest colony (size of a softball when opened) about a half an ounce of live brine each feeding, squirting several shrimps into each polyp with a turkey baster.
When you are shopping, look for polyps that are fat and look like an "outie" belly button. If they are skinny and bony, they may not have the strength to feed.
After you buy them, they won't open immediately. Just make sure they have strong current, put a little food in the evening, and they will come around. They normally open at night, but you can get them to open in the day if you feed them at a regular time. Also, they will open if they "smell" (or whatever sense a coral has) food in the water.

jacques

They are a beautiful coral, but they do take a little extra time. I hand feed mine 3-5 times a week (brine shrimp, plankton or squid) with a turkey baster. It only takes a few minutes, but it can be a hastle on occassion. Good luck,
J :p

burnnspy

I feed mine every other day, using mashed up shrimp. They open and close day or night. I use a turkey baster to clean it every few days to prevent bacteria infection since it doesnt recieve a great deal of water flow. They are doing great. Not recommended for beginners.
BurnNSpy