Sunday six pack

misty7850

Thanks.. I'm not sure what kind they are.. I got them on a rock with some purple shrooms.. They sure are beautiful.. I wish they would multiply, but so far they haven't. I've had them about 8 months now.

dejaco

Can't say with absolute certainty - but that does look like a type of narcissus snail called a Super Tongan. I have like twenty and they only come up out of the sand to feed.

fishmamma

Originally Posted by DeJaCo
Can't say with absolute certainty - but that does look like a type of narcissus snail called a Super Tongan. I have like twenty and they only come up out of the sand to feed.
Could be a super tongan but actually looks a little smal IMO. Mine have larger bodies compaired to the shell and large trunks but looks similar for sure. :thinking: Is it usually in the sand bed? Tongans burrow and come up at feeding time.

wax32

Mine have larger bodies compaired to the shell ...
Exactly, this isn't a Nassarius, I am researching now and will have something in a few.

wax32

Misty, if you take the snail out of the water and get a picture of its opening and its top side it would be easier to identify it.

wax32

That's funny, I was just on a page dedicated to the Buccinidae family of whelks when you said to check the hitchhiker thread! Leave it to me to over-complicate things. That snail is for sure a predatory whelk.
Misty, get that boy out of there.
Good catch fishmamma!

To link the thread, just copy the address from the address bar and paste it here.
The easiest way to copy a picture to here is: right click the picture and select properties, then copy the address you see there and then paste it here. THEN, put
on either side of it.

wax32

I am on a page right now looking at shells trying to see if I can come up with at least a genus for Misty's snail. I am guessing they must be common as I have a couple of hermits that live in shells similar to that one in the picture. The shells came with Calcinus elegans from the Indo-Pacific but now one of my Carribean Calcinus tibicen is living in one.