Sundial Lighting question - Newb

jayjeep

Someone is selling a light fixture locally and I'm wondering if it would be worth it. I'm just collecting things right now for my first reef tank and not really sure what I want for lighting.
It is a 48" Current USA SunDial T5 HO 4x54w with timer & LED. He wants $150 for it. New its $275 but discontinued.
The Sundial features the SlimPaq 10,000k and 460nm Actinic High Output T5 lamps.
Opinions? Or should I look for a different kind of lighting?
Thanks,
Jason
ps. I have a 75 gallon tank that is not set up yet. Current lights are T12 and t5 Actinic I think.

jayjeep

Ok, so that's 6-8 total or 6-8 white plus actinic lights..?
I guess I'm not sure what light is required. I know I need 10000k lighting but a little confused about the actinic lights. Is there a thread out there that explains in depth the lighting? I can't find much in the search function.

btldreef

Ok, so that's 6-8 total or 6-8 white plus actinic lights..?

I guess I'm not sure what light is required. I know I need 10000k lighting but a little confused about the actinic lights. Is there a thread out there that explains in depth the lighting? I can't find much in the search function.
6-8 total
They're are many options for bulb combinations, not just 10K and actinic.
Look at some of the ATI and Geissman fixtures for some ideas. I'm not a huge fan of T5's, I'm a LED person. I have used T5's in the past, and currently use a 4 bulb 4ft fixture on my 55G display refugium. I run 1 6500 daylight, 1 10000 daylight, one WavePoint Coral Wave bulb and 1 420nm actinic.

snakeblitz33

All new T5HO systems should come with individual reflectors, if not on individual reflectors, it's not worth the cheddar. IMHO, I think a 4 bulb system on a 75g would be able to keep some softies. Not clams and SPS, and some LPS, but it would definitely keep some mushrooms, zoas, and xenia.
If you got the money, invest in a lighting system that can keep a larger array of corals, so you won't have to upgrade again for the corals you want to keep. Sometimes it's worth paying the extra cash to go ahead and buy a decent fixture.

jayjeep

After doing some searching I am leaning towards A H Supply 54watt setup. I am thinking of using (2) 2 bulb set ups along with the 2 t5 actinic bulbs I have now. So, 6 total.
Has anybody used the A H Supply kit? They seem very simply to incorporate into a canopy.
Am I on the right track?
I want to do a DIY LED setup in the future but don't have time to do it now. I am kinda looking for a temp lighting system that I can build into the canopy that I am building soon, until I can do a LED setup.