SunPod HQI Metal Halid

kjord97

Just purchaes and waiting for it to be shipped to my house. I got the 36'' version. It has 2 150 watt 14k halides and 9 leds. Has anyone been using these lights and how do they perform.

jlem

I got the 60 inch 3X150 watt Sunpods. The bulbs are very blue. So going from 384 watts of 10K daylight PC's to the 3X150 watt HQI bulbs I noticed the tank was not near as bright and was alot bluer. I added on a couple 110 watt VHO Daylights to counteract the Blue and the tank looks spectacular now. I called the company and mentioned how the Bulbs where alot bluer than I expected and they sent me 3 10K HQI bulbs for free and let me keep the 14K's. So one day I plan on replacing the 14K bulbs with the 10K bulbs and the Daylight VHO's with Actinics. The light is also very centrilized so if you have a 24 inch tank like I do you will notice that the back and front are noticably dimmer than the middle. The shimmering effect is great and my Corals look great.

kjord97

Thank you for the input. I am sure I will enjoy the dual 150 halide setup. I will be placing them on my 46 gal bow front. The tank is mostly SPS and LPS with about 15 different kinds of zoos all over the bottom. I have the Coralife 36'' inch fixture on there right now with the single 150 watt halide ( the light sits right over my center brace so i have a stipe down the center) and 2 65 watt pc. Really looking forward to not haveing a strip down the middle of the tank. My tank is blue right now, due to the dual atinic and the 20k halide bulb. I am looking forward to see what the 14k's are like and hmmm if i dont like maybe i will call the company !! Are the 150's independently controlled, could I step them on mulitple timers?

jlem

They are not controlled seperately. There is a switch for the HQI's and one for the blue LED lights and one for the white LED lights.

azfishgal

I was thinking about getting these light, the 60", but now I don't know. If it's going to make my water look blue I'm not so sure. Can you hang these lights, or do they have to be put on the tank with docking mounts?

jlem

They have a hanging kit. The company will send you 10K bulbs probably if you don't like the 14K/s. Sometimes it does take a few minutes for all the bulbs to click on so if they don't all come on together give it a couple minutes. Running a couple 40 watt 10K daylights will work also to offset the blue. The VHO 10K's with the 14K HQI's look outstanding. the moonlights also look really nice. The White moonlights also look nice when both the blue and white moonlights are ran together. I payed $615.00 shipped for my 60 inch 3X150 Sunpod.

extremepcs

I have a SunPod HQI on my 24g AquaPod. I've only had it for a week or so, but the light seems fine to me. No blueness, unless the blue LED's are on. My only complaint to far is that it is LOUD. Maybe I got a bad unit, but it has an annoying rattle when the MH light is on. Not like a fan with a bad bearing... It's a different kind of rattle.

jlem

That's funny. My Sunpod is extremely quiet but the bulbs are pretty blue. It's not like Actinic blue but it definately has a bright blue look

azfishgal

Originally Posted by jlem
They have a hanging kit. The company will send you 10K bulbs probably if you don't like the 14K/s. Sometimes it does take a few minutes for all the bulbs to click on so if they don't all come on together give it a couple minutes. Running a couple 40 watt 10K daylights will work also to offset the blue. The VHO 10K's with the 14K HQI's look outstanding. the moonlights also look really nice. The White moonlights also look nice when both the blue and white moonlights are ran together. I payed $615.00 shipped for my 60 inch 3X150 Sunpod.
$615! The place I was looking at has them for $740 (before shipping). Can you email me where you got them? Or give me a hint?
Right now I have two 36" T-5 Double Strip: 10,000k daylight and true actinic 03 blue (42 watt). Would that help tone down the blue?

drew2005

I have the 36" Sunpod over my 46 gallon and i couldnt be happier with the color and light output. Worth the $425 i paid for it last April. No need for actinic supplement with the 14k bulbs. The do sell the hanging kit for it. You may also want to look in to the new unit Current has. Its called the Outer Orbit Pro. It has 2 150w 10k and T5 supplements.

costa13

I have the 20" Sunpod with 1x150w MH and I love it. I personally really like the 14000k bulb they send you. I paid $230 for mine and it came with the hanging kit.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by drew2005
I have the 36" Sunpod over my 46 gallon and i couldnt be happier with the color and light output. Worth the $425 i paid for it last April. No need for actinic supplement with the 14k bulbs. The do sell the hanging kit for it. You may also want to look in to the new unit Current has. Its called the Outer Orbit Pro. It has 2 150w 10k and T5 supplements.
I was looking at those. So what's the difference between the 10,000K and the 14,000K?

drew2005

Originally Posted by azfishgal
I was looking at those. So what's the difference between the 10,000K and the 14,000K?
10k will be more white. But with the T5 actinic supplements it will even out really nice. 14k bulbs have more of a blue to them. A 10k bulb will give you better growth out of your corals. But thats a whole different story. I personally love the 14k color output. But thats just me. Everyone is different.