Supermarket clams in a tank

llama

I read somewhere that you could put clams sold in a supermarket (for food) in your tank and that they would help reduce nitrate levels. Is this a true claim or just an old wives tale? :notsure:

vanquish

Originally Posted by llama
I read somewhere that you could put clams sold in a supermarket (for food) in your tank and that they would help reduce nitrate levels. Is this a true claim or just an old wives tale? :notsure:
Thats interesting... I guess it is possible, but there are some risks:
1. The clam is from the wild, and could carry unwanted pests/bacteria etc.
2. If the clam dies, you might not know right away, and it could make your nitrate levels much worse.
If you do want to try, (and trying new things is always a good thing!) IMO I would start the clams in a QT tank so you can observe them and see how they do. After a few weeks, if they are still healthy, you could try them in your new tank. Youd have to figure out what to feed them though, and I havent got a clue what they might eat! Probably depends on what type of clam it is. Hopefully more people will respond and give you more information.
I almost tried gorcery store lobsters in a tank one time! haha kinda still do want to

fishieness

it does work because it eats all the phytoplankton in your tank before it can die and rot. however, they do just that, eat ALL of it. So unless you have a large refugium or a huge tank and not relay anything that eats phyto, it will most likely starve to death while it is in your sandbed, so it will be hard to find and will rot and probably cause a spike. Of course many people have done it, but this is a common outcome unless you feed the tank.

alyssia

I use them, and mine have always come out of the sand and opened completely when they died, and the cleanup crew gets them.

fishieness

Originally Posted by alyssia
I use them, and mine have always come out of the sand and opened completely when they died, and the cleanup crew gets them.
hmmm good to know.... or you could jsut do some extra skimming :happyfish
i think i am going to add some thing week to my 29 fowlr for my puffer to nibble on. his teeth are getting a little long.

merredeth

Yes, I have them from the store and at one time I even wrote a post about them.
I burp the clams by putting them in tank water in a bowl for about a half hour until they start to open up and 'burp' out any water they may have in the shell.
I have had one or two die but with a very healthy clean up crew I just considered it a snack for my clean up crew since they had over half of it devoured before I managed to notice the clam's death.
Denise M.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Merredeth
Yes, I have them from the store and at one time I even wrote a post about them.
I burp the clams by putting them in tank water in a bowl for about a half hour until they start to open up and 'burp' out any water they may have in the shell.
I have had one or two die but with a very healthy clean up crew I just considered it a snack for my clean up crew since they had over half of it devoured before I managed to notice the clam's death.
Denise M.

fishmamma

After reading a post many months back I went out and purchased 2 clams. I did the burp thing, but I never saw any burping...maybe I just didn't get gassy clams?? :hilarious Anyway, one died almost immediatly and the other to my surprise is still alive. Just thought I would share.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Vanquish
Thats interesting... I guess it is possible, but there are some risks:
1. The clam is from the wild, and could carry unwanted pests/bacteria etc.
2. If the clam dies, you might not know right away, and it could make your nitrate levels much worse.
If you do want to try, (and trying new things is always a good thing!) IMO I would start the clams in a QT tank so you can observe them and see how they do. After a few weeks, if they are still healthy, you could try them in your new tank. Youd have to figure out what to feed them though, and I havent got a clue what they might eat! Probably depends on what type of clam it is. Hopefully more people will respond and give you more information.
I almost tried gorcery store lobsters in a tank one time! haha kinda still do want to

the clams at the market have been thru a process to clean them inside and out. Here in jersey we have a plant that does this. The clams at the market are wild in the sense but have been cultivated for human consumption, so a dirty clam is highly unlikely.

vanquish

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
the clams at the market have been thru a process to clean them inside and out. Here in jersey we have a plant that does this. The clams at the market are wild in the sense but have been cultivated for human consumption, so a dirty clam is highly unlikely.
Hey,
As a matter of fact, I just got back from the store with two clams!!! haha. We'll see what happens, this thread has surely turned me from a skeptic to very interested

alyssia

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
hey i just checked out inverts for sale and they sell them here they call them cleaner clams.

Yeah, but it's easier (and much cheaper) to just get them at the seafood counter.

alyssia

Originally Posted by sharkbait9

Good to know

vanquish

Originally Posted by alyssia
Good to know
yea, i noticed they squirted out a little bit of mud, but much less than i would have expected. They were very clean