Supplementation for sharks

Willian Tedesco

What I wonder, would be how to supplementation of this mineral, without using an industrialized supplement, but as it would be used only iodine, both in power, as in the water, if any. (This because of the demanding filtration a tank with these fish need, and skimmer removes much iodine of the water)
which was the dose per kilogram of fish (shark), how many milli-liters would be suitable for each of these 3 different species, which probably have different requirements

NAo one ever tried these fish without industrial products?

bang guy

I'm not a shark expert so take this with a grain of salt.

Multiple studies I've been a part of show that skimmers do not effectively remove Iodine. Algae of all types do remove it though. My suggestion to prevent hypothyroidism in your shark is to feed wild caught shrimp shell on. Like I said, not an expert but IIRC Shrimp is part of the natural diet for smaller sharks.

Are you running ozone?

Willian Tedesco

The skimmer removes many elements of water, and as the amount of iodine in water is very small this withdrawal, without additional supplementation ends up creating problems.
Even if it were provided fresh food to the fish, the aquarium has just decreasing the amount of this element due to the skimmer, the oxidation of this element by UV light, ozone, by dissolved oxygen, which also oxidizes iodine, including algae you said.

Provide fresh food to the fish is not always possible.

bang guy said:
Are you running ozone?
I still do not got a aquarium with this fish, I'm getting ready to set up a system with these predators, in Brazil these fish are difficult to obtain, and very expensive, more than tenfold the price it would have an in the US, so I can not risking an investment just to see if I can succeed
I have a colleague here that this by mounting a tank with these fish too, and we are dividing the research, he is more advanced than me.

What I wonder is.

As supplementation of this mineral is done (iodine) without using industrialized Supplement, type: (Mazuri vitamins)
Like it would be iodine administration (only this chemical) both in the supplied foods for sharks, how in the aquarium water

I'm sorry for writing mistakes, I'm not good at English

bang guy

Your English is great, better than most :)

A couple comments, Skimmate (the product from a skimmer) has been shown to contain Iodine at only slightly higher than the saltwater it was skimming. This is from multiple tests on dozens of hobbies' systems.

Ozone definitely deplete Iodine but you're not using it so no issue there.

Algae definitely consumes Iodine and can quickly deplete it from the water.

There is no evidence that Sharks can obtain Iodine directly from the water.

Willian Tedesco

bang guy said:
There is no evidence that Sharks can obtain Iodine directly from the water
If I'm not wrong

The fact that not be proved that fish are able to absorb iodine Dissolved in water, but it was not been proven the opposite

Since the amount of this mineral in water is very small in relation to the level demanded by these fishes

We could consider that they can absorb some over a long time.

I already read in a few places that fish are able of absorbing iodine through the gills

One of the places I've read:

Trace-Minerals-in-Fish-Nutrition.pdf

http://fstthai.com/upload/images/Document/information/Trace-Minerals-in-Fish-Nutrition.pdf

self-assessment colour review of

Ornamental fish Of Gregory a. Lewbart

https://books.google.com.br/books?id=iqdw-YCWiPEC&pg=PA182&lpg=PA182&dq=absorbing+iodine+through+the+gills&source=bl&ots=D_yzrhsmiD&sig=7ocfUpwQTj_t9otKvvebjbW5ZDg&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAGoVChMIkZfDsafryAIVhkGQCh2f_gmd#v=onepage&q=absorbing+iodine+through+the+gills&f=false