Surface Film

bob on this

I have a 75 Gal DT and a 20 Gal Sump. A week or so ago, my old skimmer quit working, and I orderd a new one. I let the old one contune to run until the day before my new one was to arrive. Then removed it from the sump.
That night, I noticed a white film on the surface of the water.
When my new skimmer came in, I installed it into the sump, and it started to get skimmate(sp?) right away. It was light colored but working none the less.
I expected the film to go away or at least start to, but it is still there.
I have always had my largest PH in the middle of the tank, pointed some what towards the surface, so I get a little wave action.
The only other thing I did differant last week, was to add come Calcium to the tank.
I am wanting to start putting more coral into this tank, so I got a reef test kit, and started to work on the Calcium and such.
I added a small PH to help push the surface water towards the over flow.
Is there anything else I can do to get rid of this stuff?
Thanks
Bob
Water Prams
temp - 78
SG - 1.025 (PPT 33.2)
Cal - 300
Phos - 0
KH - 7
Nitrate (NO3)- 8
Nitrite - (NO2) 0
Amm (NH3/NH4) - 0
PH - 8.2

mr_x

bob, i'd try to get even more surface agitation going on until you can skim out that stuff. meanwhile, i wouldn't add straight calcium to the tank without buffering the alk as well. unless you are considering changing salts, or getting a calcium reactor, i'd suggest a 2 part supplement, like b-ionic.

bob on this

Thanks X,
I am going to change salts, my 5 gal bucket of IO is almost gone, and I want to try something differant.
So the Kent Liquid Calcium is no good? Is that what caused the film?
I can't seem to get my Cal above 300. Will this cause any problems with, what little corals I have?
Thanks
Bob

mr_x

try oceanic salt. you will be happy with it.
i don't think the kent calcium is bad, but you can add just calcium without effecting other things.
changing salts won't hurt your corals. i changed from io to reef crystals, to oceanic immediately when i ran out of the previous, and had no ill effects. as a matter of fact, i haven't dosed anything since i've switched to oceanic.

Oceanic is awesome...I use it in all my seahorse tanks ...drs f and s sells it for cheaper than any store....20.99 including shipping if memory serves...thats for a 50g mix...39.00 for a 200g mix

skystreaker1a

Just add a couple of air stones towards the top of the tank and within a couple of hours the top of your water will be crystal clear.

groupergenius

Bob, what kind of overflow do you have? Is it a hang on back or reef ready internal?
I have found that having the surface water "waterfall" into the overflow device helps in skimming the extra nutrients off the surface.
Like others have said, surface agitation is good, and I agree with anemone, airstones not needed.