Surface Scum

ravechild

I seem to have a very thin scum at the surface of the water in my tank. I have my filter return line blowing through a spray bar at the surface, as well as 3 power heads and a surface skimmer attached to my proten skimmer and I stll seem to get this scum.
Any ideas how to get rit of this??

marvida

It's pretty normal. About the only thing you can do is increase surface movement & top skim into your skimmer. Since you're already doing that I am guessing that it is related to what you're feeding or adding to your tank. I have noticed that when feeding the more natural foods this increases as opposed to if you're feeding prepared foods such as flakes. It also seems to increase in my tanks when I increase the kalk dosage. I don't know if any of this makes sense, it's just what I've observed.

evilss

i have had the same problem so many times. its hard to fix. just keep experminting with your powerheads. you will get it sooner or later. im haveing the same problem in my 29 reef right now.

W

wrassefan

You need to have some kind of overflow from the top to get the surface stuff. If you have a sump, the overflow you are using should be enough to pull it down. If you are using a HOB skimmer, you need some kind of preskimmer box that will allow the surface stuff to "overflow" into the box for the skimmer to pull it out.