Survival of the fittest...

islandgirl

OK, so tell me this. I have a spotted goby, clown and 2 yellowtail damsels in my tank. I also HAD 2 peppermint shrimp. Everyone was getting along fine in the tank. Well one day I noticed one of the shrimp hadn't come out in a few days and I just assumed it was in it's molting stage. Well after about a week I just had that feeling. Then one day when I was just observing my tank looking at all the inhabs, my 3 fish were chasing the clown around the tank. He had something in its' mouth - piece of shrimp tail. I didn't think anything of it...until I looked away and looked back he had the whole shrimp in his mouth with the other fish in tow chasing behind!! I was like what the frig! So...they ganged up and ate my two innocent shrimp who kept my tank so nice and clean. Well now of course you can imagine I'm a little paranoid about putting more shrimp in the tank :scared: but I wanted to get something that I could have that wasn't just a boring hermit or snail. Any suggestions that can help without me giving extra "treats" to my scavengers??

latino277

you can try a CBS. I've heard that they can get agressive. I love mine. and he can hold his own against you fish

islandgirl

Well thanks for responding latino227
I thought about that myself and my lfs even suggested that. Only thang is that I don't want to have the shrimp end up being the aggressor - you haven't come across any problems with yours in your tank? How many do you have? I usually like to have pairs of stuff like that if I can.

austinreef

Originally posted by islandgirl
OK, so tell me this. I have a spotted goby, clown and 2 yellowtail damsels in my tank. I also HAD 2 peppermint shrimp. Everyone was getting along fine in the tank. Well one day I noticed one of the shrimp hadn't come out in a few days and I just assumed it was in it's molting stage. Well after about a week I just had that feeling. Then one day when I was just observing my tank looking at all the inhabs, my 3 fish were chasing the clown around the tank. He had something in its' mouth - piece of shrimp tail. I didn't think anything of it...until I looked away and looked back he had the whole shrimp in his mouth with the other fish in tow chasing behind!! I was like what the frig! So...they ganged up and ate my two innocent shrimp who kept my tank so nice and clean. Well now of course you can imagine I'm a little paranoid about putting more shrimp in the tank :scared: but I wanted to get something that I could have that wasn't just a boring hermit or snail. Any suggestions that can help without me giving extra "treats" to my scavengers??

You might want to try a scarlet cleaner or a fire shrimp. They are bigger, stay out in the open and I doubt the fish you have will bother them. I've had much bigger fish than that with mine with no problem. Good luck!

latino277

if you want pairs of the CBS then they have to be mated pairs!!!! big must. they also get kinda big so that depends on the size of your tank
I have never had a problem with mine. him and my blond naso have a nice little relationship going on. I caught the CBS cleaning him the other night. I have to admit that this is very very very rare in captivity...
I have him with 2 cleaner shrimp also.
if he does get aggressive (sounds cruel) but you can clip off his large pinchers. (I have read a couple of post about this. I have never done it and don't know if I could?????)

islandgirl

if he does get aggressive (sounds cruel) but you can clip off his large pinchers.
No way!! That is too funny but cruel. I would hope it wouldn't come to that. Maybe I'll just stick to getting one since my tank is 37 gallon....or like AustinReef suggested, a cleaner or fire shrimp since they're bigger and stay out in the open more. You 2 have been very helpful and let's hope the next shrimp I get won't end up being a meal! :rolleyes: