sweet pic of a red knob star

cain420

i never knew starfish could look this awesome!! Anyone got one of these? Or know their special needs??

lovethesea

Very pretty. Same as Red General Star ?? a.k.a crown of thorns. Our LFS has one in his personal tank in the store. Very pretty. If he's like my CC star, he is very carnivorous.

psusocr1

well i have three stars. a red general a cc and a bahama star. My red general is big and getting bigger quick so i would say they need a big tank, i do have simple corals,, shrooms,polyps leathers etc. none of the stars are reef safe but i keep my stars very well fed and they never seem to leave the glass, when they do they like to cruise the sand and go on the underside of my rockwork. my water quality is very good which i hear is a must. they like to eat squidd, clams, silversides krill etc. they evan eat alot of flake food and seaweed , they bend over backwards and catch it then open their stomachs up i keep my temp at 74 fedgrees and my salintiy at 1.026 which is a must for all starfish. All in all i would say their pretty easy to keep if all the requirments are met. They sure are gorgeous in the tank and add lots of color and personality.. their a great showpiece and pretty darn active!!

oxbeard

Definitely awesome looking!! Our LFS got some in last week that we checked out. Too aggressive for our tank, but still hard to make the decision to pass on this one.

lion_crazz

PSU, how long did it take yours to get comfortable in your tank? I just got my red general star on Tuesday, and he seems to still be a bit nervous in the daytime. At night time, he is all over the tank, but during the day, he is like a statue. Still, I have only had him two days and I am just curious how long he should take to adapt to my tank. I do have him in a 210, so I know he has plenty of room to get around. My chocolate chip has been doing wonderfully for close to a year now, so I am sure my new red general will fit in well.

ophiura

Definitely need to clarify a name here.
This is commonly called the Red African star or Red General star and NOT the red knobby star as sold on this site. The red knobby star is similar to a Linckia in its requirements - large reef tank, mature, lots of LR, can't be fed.
This star is similar to a chocolate chip star. It is a close relative of the CC star, can be spot fed (NOT REEF SAFE), but still needs established tank with proper salinity, water parameters, etc...and no fish that will pick at it (triggers, puffers, large wrasse, larger angels, etc).

ophiura

And it is not typically (though it wouldn't surprise me) called a crown of thorns which is a different beast - huge and venemous. :scared:

psusocr1

hey lion,
it only takes thema little bit to know where they are in the tank and feel comfortable. honestly the red general isnt the most active star, he will have his moments where he will be crawling around liek crazy but fro the most part as you said during the day they liek to chill out in one spot and during the night they roam . They also liek to "hang" from the top of my tank, off of powerheads, off of wires etc. etc. very interesting little guy. Also mine is HUGE and they do grow fast!!

lion_crazz

Thanks for the reply, PSU. It seems that he is adjusting already. I gave him a nice chunk of krill today and he ate it pretty quickly.
Ophiura, while you are here, I wanted to ask you about a "fromia star". A pet store by me has had this one for a few months now and it is really attractive looking, but I was wondering if you knew anything about it. I really like him a lot and I would like to add him to my tank, but if they are difficult to handle, I would stay away from it.