Switch to black sand?

scotty37

I have had my tank up for about a year now, 120 gallon, 150 lbs of regular caribbean live sand... and now the same sand company has come out with a mostly black sand... which I love. I have to tear down the tank anyways to move it, is switching over to black sand something that can be done without having to replace all the sand? Or is my way of doing this, taking all out, and replacing with all new?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by scotty37
http:///forum/post/2621135
I have had my tank up for about a year now, 120 gallon, 150 lbs of regular caribbean live sand... and now the same sand company has come out with a mostly black sand... which I love. I have to tear down the tank anyways to move it, is switching over to black sand something that can be done without having to replace all the sand? Or is my way of doing this, taking all out, and replacing with all new?
If you want a DSB then add a few inches of black on top of what you have. If you have burrowing fish it may become all mixed in time. What stock do you have?

scotty37

I just have a blue hippo, a clown, and a few damsels... didnt want to get any more fish until I move it. One of the fish I plan on getting is a jawfish, which needs a DSB. I wonder if I took out about 40-50 lbs, and added 75-100 of the black, got the jawfish and a sand sifting star, if that would work out ok.