Switching Substrate Question

ohioreef

I currently have SD as my substrate. The problem is I can't keep a good current blowing over the sand w/o it making dunes.
I have been thinking of slowly beginning to vac the sand out and replace it with something a little larger.
What particle size should I be looking for? I'm wanting something that is fine enough that I won't have the CC issues, but yet large enough that I can blow a current over it without it disturbing too much.
My LFS has some stuff that is 1-2mm. Would that be okay?
I've contemplated a starboard bottom, but I kinda like the look of a substrate.
Thanks!!

clarkiiboi

Before you try changing it out for something else, have you tried repositioning your PH's or any other flow you have? SD--assuming it's south down, is good sand. How old is the tank? Sometimes if the sand isn't "coated" to weigh it down that could happen also.

T

thomas712

Have you considered just adding a layer of larger substrate?

spline9

This is a good idea because the larger grains will always remain on top. If for some reason your sandbed is disturbed, the smaller grains will eventually settle under the large grains.
Changing substrate is a pain. I did it a couple months ago. Went from CC to sugar-sized aragonite. Was a good thing but it was no fun.

ohioreef

Originally posted by Thomas712

Actually I have been. I was thinking of taking some of the sand out a little at a time with water changes to thin my bed a little and then add some larger stuff on top.
ClarkiiBoi,
The tank is about 8 months old.