Switching to External Pump

castiron

I'm going to go from a Mag-drive to an external to keep the temp in my tank down (especially needed now in the summer!). I've read several posts on this site over the last several months recommending Iwaki. Does anyone know why is one with a Japanese motor $110 more than the American motor? Pan World claims to be designed (ripped off) by the same chief engineer as Iwaki. Does anyone know about these? Any other suggestions?

robchuck

I don't know the specifics of why the Japanese Iwaki costs more than the American, but I can tell you from experience that the Japanese motored Iwakis run quieter and last longer than the American motored pumps.
I currently have an Iwaki MD70RLT running my closed loop and a MD55RLT running my skimmer. Both of these pumps are Japanese and have been very reliable. I also just replaced a Little Giant return pump with a flow rated Pan World, the 100PX-X model. It uses the same design as the Japanese pumps, but the cooling fan is a little quieter on this pump than the two Iwakis.
You can't go wrong with Iwaki pumps (Japanese motored), but if money is a concern, the Pan World pumps work just as well, run a little quieter, and have a cool yellow casing!

bigb

Originally Posted by CastIron
Pan World claims to be designed (ripped off) by the same chief engineer as Iwaki. Does anyone know about these? Any other suggestions?
The "claim" is a selling factor. Iwaki has many engineers, just like all large industrial companies. I've been told the engineer is simply a former employee of Iwaki.
Google custom aquatics for deals on iwaki pumps. I picked up the japanese MD40RLXT for 209.99 and that is what most sites sell the american version for.

thangbom

well i have iwaki.. love it.. runs like a champ.. headpressure is almost not a issue for her.. starts up everytime.. only problem is that my pump is kinda loud .. i happen to have a american 1.. reason i got the american 1 was it was $100 cheaper then the jap... i never head or seen a jap running but when my iwaki dies out.. ill get a jap... other then the noise.. iwaki's rock..

mpls man

Originally Posted by RobChuck
I don't know the specifics of why the Japanese Iwaki costs more than the American, but I can tell you from experience that the Japanese motored Iwakis run quieter and last longer than the American motored pumps.
I currently have an Iwaki MD70RLT running my closed loop and a MD55RLT running my skimmer. Both of these pumps are Japanese and have been very reliable. I also just replaced a Little Giant return pump with a flow rated Pan World, the 100PX-X model. It uses the same design as the Japanese pumps, but the cooling fan is a little quieter on this pump than the two Iwakis.
You can't go wrong with Iwaki pumps (Japanese motored), but if money is a concern, the Pan World pumps work just as well, run a little quieter, and have a cool yellow casing!
robchuk, in reading your form on the pan world external pump, i would like to switch from my quiet 1 4000 and was wondering how much cooler they run, i have 1 in the sump and 1 for my closed loop, do you think it would help to go to a different pump or stick with the quiet 1, thanks.