Switching to MH

I found a resonably priced mh hood. My parents just barely agree with the price.
It is advanced aquatics.
Deluxe Aluminum Metal Halide and Super Actinics Systems have corrosion proof paint on the inside of the aluminum hood, UV stabilized absorbing lens, fan cooled and quick disconnects. Also independent on/off controls for Metal Halide and Fluorescents and remote ventilated, enclosed ballast with 10' lamp cord. 11 1/2" wide and 6 1/4" high. All lamps included. Your choice of fluorescents. one 175 watt mh and two 95 watt vho.
With a mh hood i dont use a glass cover do I?
If i dont wont the wter vapor and the salt destroy the hood?
How high off the aquarium should it be placed? And will it cause my tank to over heat?
Sorry about the questions just want to make sure it is done right.
Adam

wyldgunz

Glad to see your going MH youll enjoy looking at your tank a lot more and get better results.
Unless you have a problem with jumping fish youll want to go without glass on the top of your tank it will help cut back on the heat since evaporation helps cool your water and also you have a glass lid on your new hood that will keep water out of your lights. Every now and then you might want to whipe off the glass on the light but its no biggy .
Youll want the light about 6-8 inchess minimum off the top of the tank.. i keep mine about 12 inches off the top for easier cleaning of the tank without moving the lights.
And dont be sorry asking questions is a good thing and we are all happy to help.
Id recomend Atinics on the vho's
And you should have to worry about heat too much with a 175.. im running dual 250's and it only heats the tank up by 5 degrees

Well ive got really really bad news. Today my PC actinic hood stopped working all together. Any my parents wont let me get the MH hood. Ill get them to change their mind though.
Now this 6-8 inches above the aquarium.
How do i do that? Should the hood come with supports?
Cuz my parents wont allow me to hang anything from the ceiling.
They are really anal about that.
Thanks
Adam

You'll probably have to attach the lights to the inside of the aquarium hood, or possibly susprnd thm from a bracket that you attach to the wall/tank.

It is already an assembled hood and i dont have a canapy for the tank. Where can i get these brackets to suspend it by the tank. There cant be any wires or holes int he wall or ceiling.
Adam

wyldgunz

Thats no biggy its easiest to hang them from cieling but you can use metal brackets attached to the sides of the light its a little work though and a bit of messing around theres a few post on here with pictures .. Id do a serch under light supports.

lar

Not knowing how big your tank is? I have a Unit that might save you (parents) some money, It may be over kill, But it's a dual 175 watt system with dual fans and actinics. I paid $600.00 and am asking $300.00 I bought it about 18 months ago.

If you are handy at all you could build a canopy for you tank. Or, perhaps a free standing bracket (like a coat rack) with a bar over the tank to hang the pendant lights from.

I did a search for light supports but i didnt find anything that helped. Ill try it again.
My tank is 46 gallons. 36" wide.
Im not to good at handy work.
How would you support it above the aquarium? Other than the ceiling or the walls.
Are there brackets you can buy that hook onto the hood and hold it above using the aquarium as the base??
Thanks
Adam

I was lookin around and i found that coralife makes mounting legs. But they are for their aqualight pc light hood. You can buy the legs.
Would they work if i found a way to attach them to the hood. They dont raise it 6 inches though. Only 2.5 inches.
Adam
Is there another company that makes and sells separetly mounting legs.

Maybe i can have my dad weld some support legs and attach them to the side of the hood.
How much will the lights increase the temp if they just rest right on the aquariums?
Cuz it will be a while after i get it before he actualy would finish the support legs.
Adam

crazy4reefs

Adam, i think Lar has a good deal for you. if you get the single 175 watt MH it will be towards the center of the tank. your tank brace will cause a shadow. with the dual MH you will have one on each side of the tank. and i dont think it would be a overkill.. :yes:

wyldgunz

I would advise against putting your MH light on the tank it needs space between for air and will gernertate a lot of heat in the tank beeing that close.