Synthetic sea mixtures

nige

I have been using what is called Catalina Water out here on the west coast, and I'm done. I'm going to start making my own water. I'd like opinions on what's the best synthetic sea salt. I've been told the Tropic Marin is the best. When I was a very young man I used to use Instant Ocean and Marine Environment, you know, the one with the little bottle that makes a big difference. There was another one I used called HW-Marinemix, something like that. I remember it was made in Germany. It dissolved very fast. Thanks for any imput. K

broomer5

Opinion
Instant Ocean mixes to near the same levels as natural seawater.
It's a close to the real deal as it gets.
From what I've read, Tropic Marin contains a lot of phosphates and silicates, as well as mixes to a very low total alkalinity.
If you want to read more about it - let me know.

hairtrigger

Really? Instant Ocean is as close to the real deal as it gets? What about Reef Crystals and other such salt mixes that say they are "Specially formulated with extra things necessary to sustain a reef." I am curious about those. I shyed away from instant ocean because I thought it wasn't fortified enough. But, then again, I did notice the bag says that's what Sea World and such large aquariums use.

saltyrich

Hey broomer! post the link for these guys.
Brommer's right. Several studies clearly show that Instant Ocean is the closest thing to natural sea water on the market, in every way, shape, and form. The studies I've seen included all of the major salts : Tropic Marine, IO, reef crystals, Kent's, seachem, Coral life, as well as several others.
IO is the closest to the real deal.

broomer5

Okay saltyrich ;) I'll post it.
What I should have said earlier was that in my best estimation from reading this, and some other independent studies, is that it appears to me that Instant Ocean comes as close to the real deal - compared to the other synthetic saltmixes studied.
I tend to believe studies such as these, over the information provided by the manufacturer's marketing department.
I also believe that there are a ton of other factors that lead to one's success in the hobby - that just using one saltmix over another is no guarantee.
But as far as what is IN these saltmixes, and how they mix up both intially and after gas exchange equalibrium - I still choose to use Instant Ocean. I plan to try some Reef Crystals as well.
You be the judge - you decide for yourself. It's the best way.
Synthetic Salt Study

gregzbobo

Reef Crystals is another product made by the folks that make Instant Ocean. They just add extra calcium, magnesium, iodine, and various other trace elements. I have read that its not worth the extra cost, especially if you do your own additives.

richard rendos

I.O. is great salt. If you do not add supplements to your tank, Reef Crystals is good, but most people dose the same stuff that is supplemented by Reef Crystals. I.O. is my choice.