T-5 HO vs. regular PC

rbrockm1

i have an orbit 192watt PC and at my lfs they have a nova extreme 156w HO lighting system. would it be dumb to buy it? how big of a difference would it be? if any?

reefraff

The Nova T5's are not that good because they lack individule reflectors. If you want to upgrade look at the 4 lamp Tek T5's

harris28

Do a search for these: Aquactinics TX5 Series 36 inch T5HO Fixture. It's 5 39 watt T5 HO fixture. It has individual reflectors too. I just bought the 48" and it looks to be a good fixture. I've done hours of research and thats what I decided to go with. For the 48" fixture, 5 bulbs, and shipping I paid $480. This is going on my 75gal and I will be able to keep anything for the most part like clams, anenome, sps, lps.

fanker

i love the tek 4x54w thats what i had and loved them i could keep anything under them and my tank was a sps/clam only tank

dawman

Originally Posted by reefraff
The Nova T5's are not that good because they lack individule reflectors. If you want to upgrade look at the 4 lamp Tek T5's
True , but you can get individual reflectors and still less $ than a Tek .

reefraff

Originally Posted by Dawman
True , but you can get individual reflectors and still less $ than a Tek .
Ever see what it takes to throw a set of reflectors in a Nova?

hagfish

I'd love to know why only a couple brands are selling t5's with good reflectors. Is it really that big of a deal to make good reflectors?

reefraff

A good parabolic reflector made out of specral aluminum will nearly double the light output over a flat reflector. Keep hearing rumors of Current coming out with them on the Nova's. Hope they do it right. I had a reflector that looks like a near duplicate of an Ice Cap but it's different material. The output from it is more than 20% less than the Ice Cap. There are at least 5 manufacturers I can think of making T5 fixtures with the good reflectors.

jpc763

I just got a brand new Current Nova Extreme 48 inch 4x54w with 4 lunar lights from an on-line retailer on sale for $199. I also found an online coupon for said retailer for additional 15% off so I ended up getting the setup for $169. IM me with your email if you want info of where.

am00re34

my advice is go w/ TEK. Dont skimp on lights because if you want corals or clams you dont want a $80 coral to die because your lights aren't up to par. Sure you saved some money on the purchase of the lights, but you will lose down the road.
If you want T-5 i dont think anyone will argue TEK is the way to go. Great unit w/ amazing individual reflectors.

dmjordan

Originally Posted by fanker
i love the tek 4x54w thats what i had and loved them i could keep anything under them and my tank was a sps/clam only tank
is there any benefit going with the 8 bulb unit versus the 4 bulb tek light. just curious cause i didn't think the 4 bulb unit would be enough for a clam and sps. i want to start doing some acros when i decide on the bulb configuration. it would be for a 55 gal tank.

chilwil84

aquatinics 5 bulb has the individual reflectors, has fans (dont know if sunlight has put them on the tek fixtures yet) that are important for flourescent bulbs , and made in the USA to boot