T 5, T 8, compact, Watts?%%

dic wood

I have a 55g FOWLR and want to put some zoo's, some soft corals. What would be sufficient lighting?
I currently have a cheap 48" fluorescent fixture with 1 - 32 watt, 10,000 K and 1- 32 watt 420 actinic.
T 5, T 8, compact, Watts?

Any help will be deeply appreciated
Thank you

wangotango

Watts tell you how much energy is being used, not how much light is being produced, so the whole watts/gallon doesn't really work for lighting.
For zoas and soft corals power compacts would work just fine. Two 4' bulbs would probably be enough. If you wanted more flexibility as to what you could keep and where, go with four individually reflected T5ho bulbs.
-Justin

osborne

Well what happen to me is i bought a used fixture, with 2- 150 MH's and 4 T5's and placed it on my 55. The next week LFS had a buy one get one free sale. So guess what happen, my 55 was tooo full. So what Im saying is before you spent a lil money on a light, make sure your not going to upgrade tanks then need more light. Luckly I had enought light for the 120 my wife bought. LOL

wangotango

For fully-assembled fixtures, Aquactinics, TEK, and Nova PRO (in that order) would be my choices. ATI is too hard to get, and would probably be too powerful for such a small tank.
If you have a wooden canopy and are somewhat handy, then a four-bulb retrofit from Icecap or TEK would be your best option.
-Justin

dic wood

Im looking at tese two systems Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights
Features:
Silent built-in electronic ballasts
Powerful cooling fan
Highly-polished reflector
Acrylic lens cover
3 on/off switches
3 power cords for convenient independent timer operation
Remote LED ballast
Mounting legs
Appropriate number of Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs with Actinic and 10000°K bulbs
Length Wattage Base Moon Light
48" 260 watt (4-65 watt) 21" Straight Pin 3-3/4-watt

and
Nova Extreme SLR T-5 Fixtures

* Brilliant, T-5 fluorescent aquarium light fixtures with enhanced light reflectors
* Specially-designed reflectors redirect 20% more light into your aquarium than older Nova models
* Energy-efficient light fixture for aquariums with higher light requirements
Innovative reflector design maximizes T-5 light output. The popular Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures are now enhanced with a contoured single lamp reflector (SLR). A single polished reflector is specially formed to cradle each individual lamp to direct over 99% of the T-5 lighting into the aquarium. Low-profile fixtures measure only 2” high. Features energy-efficient electronic ballast, integrated cooling fan (select 4 lamp models only), docking mounts, and a protective splash lens. Includes T-5 HO lamps.
NEW 48" x 8" 216 watt 2-54 W 10,000°K
2-54 W 460 nm actinic 3 cords

What do you think?