T-5s with Clams?

clown4life

Hello I am still new and always learning new things. I have a 90gl tank with A brand new Nova Extreme Pro light
that I just picked up today. I wasn't really planing on getting a clam but I started to look at them and liked them. So I was woundering ... can I even keep a clam and if so what kind? The light is 48in by 12 in It has 6 bulbs each 54 watts but each one has it's own reflector. So thank you for your help because I know I will get it. At least I need it. lol

keri

I think some of the lower-light requiring clams would probably be fine, (derasas are nice... I think some others would be ok too but I don't know much about the super-high-light need ones like crocea) as long as your tank is mature and stable enough :) Also, what kind of fish do you have? some species will nip at clams.

harris28

Yeah you can keep clams with that light. I have the Aquactinics Tx5 with 5 bulbs and I have had a croeca clam for a while now and on the sand bed(it's on a rock). Still growing evident by the white on the edge of the shell and it a bright pretty blue.

iyachtuxivm

My new crocea was under t5 at the lfs It was over 350watts though. They said they keep all the clams under that. The supplier told them they do too. Mine was under t5 but I just upgraded to 150w mh 14k. He looks the same as the day I got him still very colorful! I would say t5 ok. I wouldnt put it on the bottom if its a crocea though or other high light species.
Oh yea and my bi color blennie had to be removed because he was nipping at the clams mantle. My clown is thinking about trying to host the clam too i think hopfully she wont have to go to. Like Keri asked be carful as to what kind of fish are with it!

nano reefer

get derasa clams. they can look ugly, but if you look around you will notice that they can have the most beautiful coloration. they are the species that need the least light.

candycane

There's no way, ever - with Croceas. If you bought one, it would most likely live for up to 18 months-2 years. After (or way before that) that you WILL notice white "veins" start to show across black parts of the mantle. Sometimes they are already there, but just become more noticeable.

clown4life

ok thank you all I have a yellow tang two perculas and a bangi cardinal.. getting coral beauty, blue hippo, mandrain and maybe a watchmen Goby.

wangotango

If you had a better fixture (not to knock the Pro it's still a good unit) then you'd have no problems keeping them anywhere you wanted, but since the reflectors aren't nearly as good I'd only keep them in the upper 2/3 if you were using good bulbs.
As far as not having long term success
Check out some of the T5 only tanks on --.
-Justin

I have a clam on the sand with t5's and a fixture I got from a hydoponic store, not name brand. The clam looks great and so does the SPS I have on the bottom. Don't listen to people who don't have t5's they don't know. My fixture is an eight bulb but your t5's may be more powerful then a MH. I've talked to alot of people about clams and t5's and almost 95% agree that it fine to keep under t5's.