T-5's

squishyfish

Hi
As I posted in another thread, my wife just won an 80 gallon reef tank and sump
. I am considering going with T-5 lighting, but I have been out of the hobby for 2 years and really have no experience with T-5's. I've always had p/c and halide lights.
I now have an 80 gallon cube, and it was suggested that we go with six to eight, 2ft T-5's. I'm leaning toward a mix of softies and LPS, but considering sps.
So, my question is....Is 6-8 T-5's the recommended number of bulbs for my size tank?

coralreefer

6-8 and make sure they're individually reflected if you plan to keep sps or clams. i have great experience with them as i am running a nova extreme pro w/ 6 individually lit bulbs and keeping sps and clams

mr_x

what are the exact dimensions of this tank? the 24" lamps are only 24 watts. i'm not sure i'd be comfortable keeping clams/anemone/sps under those, individually reflected or not.

05xrunner

thats an odd shape..
I would go with 8 individual reflected and run 2 Ice Cap 660 4bulbs each..to overdrive the bulbs to give you the penetration you need on that deep of a tank.
then get some good bulbs
ATI blue+
ATI Aquablue special
UVL Aquasun 10k
Giesemann aquablue plus
you should be good then

squishyfish

so the two ice caps (4 each) give me a total of eight, and then overdrive them. I have heard of overdriving bulbs, but have no idea how to do that.
Also, how much am I looking at for the Ice Cap ballast, and how much for the bulbs?

05xrunner

well..2 icecap ballast..they will power 4bulbs each
each ballast is about $110
Then you will need reflectors..I would suggest the Aquatinics, Ice cap or TEK ones..they are about 15-18bucks each
then the bulbs are 19 each
your looking at about $560
now if you wanna just go metal halide.
Check out fishneedit 250w pendant..would be perfect for your tank and its only about 160..comes with ballast and all and its a nice looking pendent..I heard their bulbs are not that great but good fixtures..so you can get a 14k phoenix 250 for 60bucks and have a complete setup for 210..so its up to you..I like T5's but if I had your tank I would do halide because of depth

squishyfish

Lots of good info!
My next question would be whether or not I can put a Halide in a canopy. I've always been told its a bad idea because of the heat. But, because of where the tank will be located, the lighting has to be in a canopy. I could put a couple of fans in, but i'm still not sure that would be enough.

05xrunner

if you have holes in the side of the canopy and some slots in the top..with a few fans inside to blow the hot air out I think it should be fine

oceansidefish

Why not run it without the canopy and hang a MH pendant from the ceiling??? You could run a single 250 or 400 over that tank.

reefdaddy1

I can see I need to say my peace here. T5 over driven will produce more PAR at 24" then a 250 MH. Use less energy, run cooler and change bulbs less times then MH bulbs. The only thing you dont get is the shimmer. I ran 4 bulbs of T5 on a 55 gallon and kept clams, SPS and LPS. Its all a matter of taste.

wangotango

If you do go T5 (which would be my choice), and you plan on using Icecap ballasts then you're going to want to install some cooling fans. Overdriving the bulbs produces more heat and puts more wear on them. Running a fan down the endcaps and one to blow the hot air out of the canopy will help performance and lamp-life a lot.
-Justin

squishyfish

Originally Posted by Oceansidefish
http:///forum/post/2928159
Why not run it without the canopy and hang a MH pendant from the ceiling??? You could run a single 250 or 400 over that tank.
The tank is going to be in the family room between two couches. Think of a sectional, and the tank is going to be where the "bend" of the sectional would be. If I hang a pendant over the tank, its going to blind me. Otherwise, I would definitely be hanging something.
I can see I need to say my peace here. T5 over driven will produce more PAR at 24" then a 250 MH. Use less energy, run cooler and change bulbs less times then MH bulbs. The only thing you dont get is the shimmer. I ran 4 bulbs of T5 on a 55 gallon and kept clams, SPS and LPS. Its all a matter of taste.
This is the main reason that I originally wanted to run T-5's, the only thing holding me back is the price. I'm looking at about $550 for the T-5's instead of $350.00 for the halide's.
You mentioned the T-5 would use less energy than the Halide. Eight T-5's will use less energy that one 400w Halide? And lets say I only have to change the bulb half as often...I'm changing 8 bulbs half as much instead of one bulb. Am I still saving money?
And I am planning on installling 3-4 fans on the canopy.

mr_x

i'd go with a halide. it's not that much more heat. if you overdrive the t-5's you'll have to replace them alot sooner.
people put too much stock in t-5's. i haven't seen a non-photoshopped t-5 lit tank i liked better than halides.
8 x 24 watts of t-5 overdriven equals how many watts? how much less energy are you using than a 250 watt halide?

squishyfish

Yeah, its basic Math. I didn't think about that until after I had posted the question. Had a bit of a senior moment I guess....and I'm only 33. Oy-vey

I think I have settled on a 400watt Ice Cap MH. If I install several fans into the canopy, I believe I can nullify the heat put off by the lights.

mr_x

that's alot of light. you expecting to keep a sps dominated tank?
i think a 250 will do you fine, sps or not.

squishyfish

You think? If I can run the tank with no problem on a 250mh, then I'm all for it. I just thought there would be some stuff that I couldn't keep.
At this point I don't have any intention of keeping an sps tank. I don't have the room or the money to invest in a calc reactor. I may keep a few of the easier one's, but, in general, that isn't part of the plan.