T5 bulb question...

steve24

[hr]
i have a two yr old reef with aquatinics TX5 lights. 3 1/2 months ago i ordered
some new bulbs for it. i think i ordered the wrong ones and or recieved the wrong ones anyways, ever since then i have been battling green hair algea and like a green slime algea. here is the info on the lights that i got ...
Nearly twice the light output of conventional T-5 lamps
48 in has 85W
AquaSun 10000°K T-5 HO Fluorescent Tubes
* 10000°K High Output T-5 fluorescent aquarium lamps
* Greatly enhances the color of your tropical and marine fish
* Space-saving, 5/8 inch diameter lamps emit more light than other T-5's
T-5/HO lamps with Tri-band phosphors enhance the color of your tropical and marine fish. These special, higher-wattage T-5/HO lamps boast greater light output than conventional T-5 lamps. The result is more light from your T-5 fluorescent light fixture for spectacular, cost and space-saving benefits. Provides the additional color temperature needed to showcase fresh and saltwater aquariums.
Use these T-5 HO Tubes as replacement tubes for the Nova Extreme with Lunar Lights, the Nova Extreme, the Outer Orbit Pro Series HQI/T-5/LED Lights, the T5-48 Deluxe Strip Light Fixture or use in conjunction with an IceCap Ballast, endcaps, and the IceCap T-5 Reflectors, or any appropriate T-5 fluorescent light fixture. Use T-5 tubes with T-5 compatible light fixtures with high output electronic ballasts to help increase efficiency and tube life. The average life of T-5 tubes is 2 years, with the blue/actinic spectrum lamps lasting up to 18 months.
i have tested and had my LFS test the water, all are good. could these lights be the cause ?

hefner413

I would guess you would be right.. with the increase in light - a boost in algae. Did you run them as long as the ones prior? Or did you start off shorter and gradually increase the time?
The lights do sound cool though! You are making me think about these for my retrofit kit. How much were they a piece?

sh00tist

Its really not a good idea to change all of your bulbs at once,depending on how old they are it will a lot of times cause and algae bloom. Even with MH when people change their bulbs they will either raise and slowly lower them or cut down on the run time and bring it back up gradually. With t5s when your bulbs start getting close its best to change one a week though with the actinics it makes no difference. These bulbs advertise 85 watts but I believe you must have the overdriven icecap ballasts to push that much through them. I would cut back on your daylight bulb runtimes and bring them back up over a couple of weeks.