t5 for 72 bowfront

C

capschamp

I've been researching lighting for a 72 bowfront i'm in process of building. Would eventually want to keep sps. In my past experience i've kept sps under metal halide, and it did very well. But that was a much smaller tank, and almost 10 years ago. I've been reading a lot of positive things about t5 lighting, and am wondering if anyone has this type over a reef that's 23" deep and experiencing success with sps or other high light requiring inverts. The specific fixture i've found would have 8 bulbs at a little over 400 watts. The fixture would come with 6500k bulbs but i'd switch them out with various 10-20k bulbs. anyone kept sps in something similar? thanks for your help!

C

capschamp

the one i'm looking at is a radiion (not sure if that spelling is correct) with 8 bulbs x 54w each. Also considering one that only has 6 bulbs, same watt per bulb though. I've found them for 140-170 depending on shipping. Only thing that has me thinking is replacing the bulbs, that would cost about 15 bucks each, whereas i could find 15k 250w metal halide bulbs for 10 bucks each, and only have to replace 2 if i went the metal halide route.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by capschamp http:///t/389636/t5-for-72-bowfront#post_3445078
the one i'm looking at is a radiion (not sure if that spelling is correct) with 8 bulbs x 54w each. Also considering one that only has 6 bulbs, same watt per bulb though. I've found them for 140-170 depending on shipping. Only thing that has me thinking is replacing the bulbs, that would cost about 15 bucks each, whereas i could find 15k 250w metal halide bulbs for 10 bucks each, and only have to replace 2 if i went the metal halide route.
Where are you getting new MH bulbs for $10.00???? I pay $70.00 per bulb.
I hate my MHs, I have a short in this unit just like I did with the retrofit...I'm replacing mine with T5s the linkable units cost me $135.00 each and with three units I can keep anything I want. So for the price of a new PC, that's only good enough for soft coral, I can keep anything I want, including an anemone. The replacement bulbs are much cheaper.
I think the T5 with 6 to 8 bulbs would be plenty for SPS corals.

C

capschamp

I hope i dont break any rules: you can find low cost mh lights at auction (wink). Same place i found the radiion fixture.