T5 Light help

whyamisofl

I know there are a lot of threads on this topic, and I will admit that I did an extensive search, but I am to the point where I will be buying, so I want to make sure everything is in order before I click the "submit" button.
60g tank currently has 3-96w PC's.......gotta go!!!
I will be doing zoanthids, mushrooms, an anemone, and a colony of bright pink birdsnest (<

[hr]
the whole reason for changing lights, its a MUST!).
In all honesty, that is the only LPS or SPS that I have actually liked and plan to keep.
SO, I am thinking 4 - t5/ho lamps should suffice???
2 of these -
2x54W T5/HO Fluorescent Ballast - Advance
"This ballast is designed to run 2 54W T5/HO lamps, but will also run 2 55 watt or 2 36 watt compact flourescent lamps.
Dimensions: 16.25"x1.25"x1" (LxWxH)
Features:
* Color-coded, poke-in connectors: Enhances wiring accuracy and ease of assembly.
* Programmed rapid start technology: Provides extended lamp life in frequent starting applications.
* Compact size:Won't take up too much room."
4 of these
T5 Moisture Resistant Endcap -Pair w/ end cap stand off
"* Vossloh Schwabe German 2 piece moisture resistant endcaps.
* Will fit T5 HO and NO lamps.
* Rubber o-ring to help protect socket from humidity and moisture from your aquarium.
* Sold in Pairs.
* The 2 piece design allows easy bulb replacement, as once the base is screwed into place, you only have to unscrew the the ring around the lamp to remove the bulb. "
4 of these
36" Single Lamp Parabolic T5 Reflector
"*Integrated lamp clips clip reflector directly to lamp
* Single lamp reflector for 36" T5 lamps.
* Dimensions: 31" x 2" x 1""
Now, other than bulbs, what else do I need?
$228.50 for the 4 bulb shipped

reefraff

That should be everything. If you check reefgeek you can buy the whole deal as a retrofit kit that includes lamps.

whyamisofl

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2785236
That should be everything. If you check reefgeek you can buy the whole deal as a retrofit kit that includes lamps.
Do you think the 4 bulb 54w t5's will be enough to sustain birdsnest?
Something like this would be better than 4 54w t5HO's?
"36" 4x39W SLR T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs"

grue

Originally Posted by whyamisofl
http:///forum/post/2785239
Do you think the 4 bulb 54w t5's will be enough to sustain birdsnest?
Something like this would be better than 4 54w t5HO's?
"36" 4x39W SLR T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs"
Yes, but probly not great growth. Think it might be just enoulf for an anemone. But not quite enoulf for it to be really happy. They require ALOT of light. My 2 cents
Grue

grue

It is a matter of personal preference. 6 T5 ho would work. So would a metal Halide. How much are the replacement bulbs? 6 HO t5 about 35.00 each? 2 250 MH bulbs 75 each? I know the 6 and 8 light T5 fitcures work well and are not to expensive to run. MH more expensive cheaper bulb replacement and more expensive to run. BUT with MH you can keep anything you want. Up to you 6 or 8 bulb or mh. I chose the MH. My 2 cents
Grue

wangotango

You can keep whatever you want with T5ho too. If the birdsnest is in the top half under only four bulbs you should be fine. Now if you were using Icecap ballasts that that'd be a different story. Six bulbs would be ideal IMO.
-Justin

whyamisofl

I had 2 - 175w MH's over my tank and I honestly didn't like the look.........went through about 4 different colors and was never satisfied.
I have never had t5's before, but from the tanks I have seen, I like them better......JMO though.
What if I was to do 4 bulbs with Icecap Ballasts???