t5 lighting

dahlia

Has anyone used or is now using 78 watt ho t5 lighting? Is it a light I have to gradually adjust my tank to? Or can I just plug it in and go?
Thanks for any help

saltn00b

i believe the 5 foot T-5s are 80 watts. never heard of 78 watts. is it just one bulb in a hood with a ballast? what brand is the unit? is it individually reflected?

dahlia

I am looking to get one at the moment off a retailer on ----. Not sure about anything you asked?? Except the brand...odyssea..
Exact description:
Odyssea 36" total output 78 watt ho t5 aquarium lighting.
daylight simulation
external ballasts 1xpc with on off switch
also comes with 39 w 12,000 k daylight ho t5 bulb
Pretty much "foreign" to me :notsure: I do not know to much about aquarium lighting at this point.
btw I need it for reef..

saltn00b

ok its starting to come together now. 2x 39 watt bulb (3') system. are there pollished aluminum reflector behind the bulbs? is there seperate reflectors around each of the bulbs, or just one big one in the back, or none at all?
do you have any corals in the tank yet, what size is it and how old is it?
if you have no corals, you can just switch the light sytem without light-acclimating, if you have corals, the safe way is to light acclimate.

dahlia

Just says non-corrosive powder coated aluminum.
Not sure about reflectors? What are they for and are the neccesary?
It is brand new 36"L x 4"W x 2"H
and yes it says 2x39 W HO T5
Yes I have a few corals
I have green striped mushrooms
Zoa's
red mushrooms
kenya tree
stars??
gorgonian
and some polys here and there on rock
So best way then is to light acclimate?
Ok...How does that work?
And thanks for your help and patience with me

saltn00b

what size tank is it ? how long has it been up?
you generally have low light corals, which will be sustained by that light, but it seems to me that the bulbs are not reflected. meaning, there is not a mirror-like piece of aluminum(semi-circular or folded around half of the bulb) that bounces radiating light back down. With T-5s, this will increase their PAR (photosynthetically available light) by about 300%, making them the wisest and most powerful choice unless you have a tank that is over 30" H, in which case you really need 250 w - 400 w Metal halides.
so being that they are not individually reflected, and there are only two bulbs, its really a small amount of light. i would suggest at looking into adjusting or replacing this light with a more appropriate T-5 set up.
one example of light acclimating would be placing three sheets of windows screening on top of the tank, and removing one sheet every 48 hours or so.