T5 Newbie Question

berg

I can get two regular T5 lights for less than I can buy a single T5HO light. The two regular T5s add up to more watts than the T5HO has. What benefit does the HO have over the regular T5s?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I would hate to buy some HOs when I could have saved a lot of money and bought the regular T5s.
Thanks.

imfsub12

i have read on a website is that you double what ever the T5HO watts are so say it 48 watts x 2 = 96 watts. that right from a Light website....
I have T5HO and love them... got a GLO unit.. 1 day and 1 attinic and what a diff they make...

C

cadillac swang

Originally Posted by Berg
I can get two regular T5 lights for less than I can buy a single T5HO light. The two regular T5s add up to more watts than the T5HO has. What benefit does the HO have over the regular T5s?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I would hate to buy some HOs when I could have saved a lot of money and bought the regular T5s.
Thanks.
the t5 i believe your talking about are the standard light fixture that would come with the tank. which is not good at all and not sufficent in keep corals. i wouldnt even put zoo's or mushrooms under that light.
the t5ho HO=high output is exactly that, more of a flourescent light which if having the proper amount for your tank can keep about anything alongside good water quality.

chilwil84

watts are used as a general guideline to compare the same types of lights par is what you want to be concerned with with corals and by pushing the bulbs harder (ho) making them run on more watts you dramatically increase the par output of the bulb this is one of the reasons t5s are becomeing popular because you can push them harder they last longer and they dont take up a lot of space so you can put a lot more of them together