T5 vs MH lighting

kniquy

I am at a cross roads right now. I have 2-250w MH that need to be replaced. I am probably looking to spend about $120 for them, maybe a little more. (That price is for the 2 not each). After talking to my LFS he was saying that he is actually getting rid of his MH lighting and going to T5 lighting. He said that the intial cost isn't cheap (for my 75g about $400) but that the T5 bulbs only need to be replaced every 2 years vs every year with the MH and that the bulbs are considerably cheaper ($9-15/bulb).
Plus he mentioned that the heat output for the T5's is considerably less. I would love anybody's input on this situation. Can I get enough wattage or light penitration as I would with the MH?? Right now i am running only my MH because my PC (I had 2 96w actinics) crapped out.
I have a few soft corals (mushrooms, zoos, stars) now but would love to keep clams and some hard corals down the road so i don't want to limit myself because of my lighting

wangotango

It's just a matter of preference really, neither is going to be better overall for your tank.
As far as replacement costs. Two years is pushing it IMO. Most people replace them every 12-16 months. 48" T5ho bulbs cost about $20each, not sure where they got $9-15.
The six-bulb TEK fixture would be a good choice.
-Justin

C

cust11

When it comes down to it T5s and MH are nearly equal. They both have their pros and cons. Unless you are lighting a tank that is 36" deep I don't see a difference in lighting performance other than aesthetics.

sean48183

Hows the growth with t5 bulbs? MH's really make things grow nicely. For me MH look better also with the shimmering effect.

gypsana

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2971889
It's just a matter of preference really, neither is going to be better overall for your tank.
As far as replacement costs. Two years is pushing it IMO. Most people replace them every 12-16 months. 48" T5ho bulbs cost about $20each, not sure where they got $9-15.
The six-bulb TEK fixture would be a good choice.
-Justin
+1

I Own a Tek 4' 8 bulb and it is BRIGHT! I had a Tek 3' 6 bulb before and ran the lights for about a year and I feel it was time to replace them. The only way to tell for sure is a light meter.