T5's but NO bloom? Why?

I got my T5's about nine days ago. I have been running them on 10 hour cycles, with the actinics on a half hour before the 10k's, and also running the actinics 30 minutes before lights out for the night. I also run the lunar lighting for about three hours or so before I go to bed.
I kept reading that as soon as I upgraded to T5's, I would see a big algae bloom, even if it was the bad kind. I was personally hoping for coralline.
Well it's been almost 10 days, and I have seen a very, very slight algae bloom on the glass, and my two big pieces of live rock which have coralline algae on them actually seem to be getting LESS abundant. Where before the coralline was a nice bright purple, now patches of it have become almost a greyish/white color. It also isn't spreading at all, but right where it was before the new lights.
I have been dosing with calcium, and taking Ca tests which says I am at about 410.
The two small coral frags I have are hit and miss. The encrusting gorgonia is growing quite well, while the xenia seems to be dying off.
I just can't figure out why there isn't more growth going on.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate any input.
Thanks as always
-Jonathan

wangotango

What type of lighting were you running before? You may not always have an algae bloom after upgrading lights. It's possible that the T5 have bleached the coraline. All I can say is just give it some time.
-Justin

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2552770
What type of lighting were you running before? You may not always have an algae bloom after upgrading lights. It's possible that the T5 have bleached the coraline. All I can say is just give it some time.
-Justin
This is probrably what it is, your coraline was used to the lower lighting and when you upgraded, it burned the coral but itll grow back after awile

perfectdark

Also if you didnt acclimate your corals to your new light especially if you went from PC or Flourscent to HOt5 then they are prob light shocked. I have lost a few mushrooms like that when I switched mine over. And I too lost coraline, on the upper part of my tank. I had to cycle my lights for 4 hours for 4 days then 6 hours for 4 days and then 8 hours for 4 days, everything responded well after that.

I never even thought about the shock from new lights.
Prior to the T5 HO lights I was just using the basic fluorescent lights that came with the hood of my 55.
So if I just let it go for a few weeks, will the coralline make a comeback? Should I try and position the live rock lower in the tank? Also, is there any good way to get base rock to become live rock more quickly?
Also, I have three fish in the QT right now who are less than a week away from going to the DT. In the QT I have regular fluorescent lighting. Once they are moved over to the DT, will they also go through shock from the brighter lights? Or will they be able to simply swim under some rocks to get in the "shade"?
Thanks as always!
Jonathan

perfectdark

Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid
http:///forum/post/2553680
I never even thought about the shock from new lights.
Prior to the T5 HO lights I was just using the basic fluorescent lights that came with the hood of my 55.
So if I just let it go for a few weeks, will the coralline make a comeback? Should I try and position the live rock lower in the tank? Also, is there any good way to get base rock to become live rock more quickly? Naaa I would just leave it, mine came back rather quickly
Also, I have three fish in the QT right now who are less than a week away from going to the DT. In the QT I have regular fluorescent lighting. Once they are moved over to the DT, will they also go through shock from the brighter lights? Or will they be able to simply swim under some rocks to get in the "shade"?They will be fine, it shouldnt affect them that way.
Thanks as always!
Jonathan
Answered in red above....

perfectdark

Its funny you said that but I might be inclinded to say that its still related to the lights. Although I can speak for TheClemsonKid, I had the same scenario happen when I changed my lights from PC to HO-T5 I lost a xenia stalk in 3 days fairly large stalk too. But the one in the rear of my tank survived. I only assumed it was due to light shock because the one that was affected seemed to of gotten more direct light. My alk was on as was my other perameters.