T5's or MH's?

alison

Hi,
I'm working at setting up a 120 gal tall 24" deep 48" total length reef setup and wondering which way to go with lights.
I was told by a couple saltwater store people at various locations that T-5's are way better than Mh's and they can keep the same stuff and stuff actually is doing better under T-5's.
So what do you guys think.
I was totally set on dual 250's and then around 330 watts of VHO's for the actinics or T-5's for the actinics but now I'm lost.
I want EVERYTHING/
Thanks,
Alison

cajamajo

You will start a war around here asking that question. Personally I like the MH. They do a good job reaching the depth you have. Nothing I have seen will give the shimmer of MH.

murph145

there are tanks with T-5's that do awesome but IMO the tried and true thing is still MH lighting.... MH still penetrates the water deeper and has more PAR ....
the few T-5 lite tanks ive seen online have duller colors than metal halide lite tanks
one of the most famous T-5 tanks out there is this one

hatessushi

MH's do provide shimmer but they get hotter and cost more to run. I have both and took down the MH's when they gave me headaches from the shimmer. I run the T-5's now and colors are nice, it runs cooler and I have notice no change in my electric bill. I have a pair of MH's for sale by the way. I only used them for about a month and a half.

alison

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies! Does anyone have any pictures of the super hard coral's run under t-5's? I heard TEC is the way to go due to the individual reflectors. I might just play it safe and get MH's for the middle then do t-5's for the actinic's. Then I get that cool shimmer and can have super hard corals and just get a chiller in the summer if need be.
Thanks,
Alison