T6 Lights

khoi29

have anyone heard of T6 light . I was on *bay and saw this fixture (CL 48" Aquarium T-6 Quad Reef Light 216W 54X4) . Just want to know if its the same as T5 lights. Also can I swap out the bulb with T5 and get the same lighting as a name brand T-5 fixture.

reefnut

I just looked it up real quick and what they are is Power Compacts... which do well for soft reef or FOWLR aquariums.

scsinet

Originally Posted by ReefNut
I just looked it up real quick and what they are is Power Compacts... which do well for soft reef or FOWLR aquariums.
Actually T6 lamps are very similar to T5 lamps. They have thicker glass and run at lower operating temperatures, but they are identical in lengths, wattages, and base types (G13) to T5 lamps, and can be used interchangeably. They are 1/8" larger in diameter, so some fixtures where the lamps are very crowded *might* have problems.
T6 lamps are being hocked as the "next generation" stuff, but only time will tell to whether they take on. Regardless, with them being interchangeable, it's no problem.

reefnut

When you look it up on *bay it says "This is Brand New 2007 in the box Catfish Lighting 48" 216 Watt Power Compact Light!" ?? I dunno??

florida joe

The number after the T sands for eights of an inch of diameter of the bulb so a T-8 bulb would be one inch in diameter and so on

reefnut

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Actually T6 lamps are very similar to T5 lamps. They have thicker glass and run at lower operating temperatures, but they are identical in lengths, wattages, and base types (G13) to T5 lamps
After thinking a little Power Compacts do not come in 54w bulbs... 54w is standard to T5s so you're probably correct...

reefraff

There are T6 power compact lamps.
There are also T6 linear tubes but they are not the same length or pin base as T5's. They are the same length and pin style as regular old t12 fluorescent lamps. There are also some lamps marketed as T6 that are actually T5 tubes with different ends used to make them a standard pin base and length. I think natual lighting dot com is the only place selling those.
There also NO, HO and VHO versions of the lamps. A 4 foot HO lamp is 55 watts and designed to run off a T8 ballast but there is no reason why a T5 ballast wouldn't run them too. Their output was nothing special. The NO and VHO versions of the lamps run at the same wattage as typical T12 lamps, 40 and 110 watts for a 4 foot lamp. Helios does make a clip on reflector for the lamps. The Tek II reflectors would probably work pretty good on them, you just have to spread the lamp clips out a little to make them fit.
I ran 4 VHO T6's over my tank for a few months. Eyyy, I wouldn't buy them on purpose. If you had a VHO system they would be cool because they are a drop in replacement that you can use a nice reflector with.

khoi29

how about this fixture from *bay (MHS 48" T6 HO Aquarium Compact Lighting 216W, > T5) . These fixture are much cheaper then the name brand one. But will they have the same spectum like a nova extreme 4X54 T5 . Or should I just get a Nova Extreme T5 4X54

lazypinoy

i have the t-6 helios vho's. works great. i can keep several clams and montis. the bad side is that they lose they intensity within 6 months. i wanted t-5's but my area didnt have any.