Taking out bio balls :S

stella

I have a 125g aggressive setup with a DIY wet/dry with lots and lots of bioballs. I've never had any problems with ammonia/nitrite but as you may already imagine, the nitrates are killing me (well my fish really). So I was thinking of taking out the bio balls to grow chaetomorpha. I know you should take them out slowly but I should start growing the algae and I don't have the space. My question is, could I just leave all the bio balls floating around the sump so I don't lose the bacteria and then start taking them out slowly? Or should I stay with bio balls or just leave some ? I'm scared because my fish are really messy eaters please help!
thanx

G

gsxr1100

I would say the bioballs are fine but you more then likely never cleaned them. I have been running BB for years. You need to keep them clean and you will never have issues.
But the bb need to be in running water to work.

sign guy

once a week take 1/4 of the bio balls out and rince them with old tank water from your water changes. Bio balls are great for your system they provide aLOT of bio area, you can not have too much of a bio load so the therory that bioballs are bad for your tank is nonsence and IMO a sign of lazy tank owner