tang Id need help

sharkbait9

i bought this cute little tang but have no clue what it is. (i need to post a pic of it, i know) The LFS had no clue either so they sold it for 12 bucks.
Its grey with blue lips and little (tiny) blue spots when it gets upset it turns a brown blotchy pattern.
Its a baby tang i know that much, but can not find any baby tang pics.
It almost looks like a naso or a doctor tang but not sure.
Can any one think of a baby tang that runs this pattern.
Right now its the size of a silver dollor. Cute little bugger and eats nori like a pig.
I got to get a pic and post it.

hatessushi

Once you know what it is start reasearching the care of it and see if you and your tank are capable of giving it the care it needs. It's always a good idea to not buy a fish unless you know and are able to care for it properly which includes a tank of proper size. It sounds like an impulse buy.
well, good luck

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by seannmelly
prolly a lopezi could be a vlamingi but hard to tell w/ no pic. this is the vlamingi we had at work.
Good looking out
It might be one of these I did not even think of those two fish,
. I guess my mind started to imagine of something completely way off. The eyes on this tang are just wicked looking they are a real attention getter.
Either way it a beautiful fish and has taken up with my yellow tang.
I thought the yellow would be a typical yellow and lash out but for some reason has taken him like a mother to a baby.
Originally Posted by HatesSushi

Once you know what it is start researching the care of it and see if you and your tank are capable of giving it the care it needs. It's always a good idea to not buy a fish unless you know and are able to care for it properly which includes a tank of proper size. It sounds like an impulse buy.
well, good luck
Well........................
out of the four tanks we have I think I/we will be able to find a place for him.
Nothing in my tank is an impulse buy. We wanted another fish and we went looking and found this cute baby tang, nothing impulsive about that.
While I will agree that no one should buy anything with out knowing about said subject.
I/we having four tanks (one 265gal reef and three 125gal reef, in case you want to question tank size) and making our old 75 gallon into a frag tank. I don't foresee any problems with general health and well being of this fish.
I do appreciate your concern. You should try not being so judgmental when all I ask for was a little help on the Id.

alyssia

Well........................
out of the four tanks we have I think I/we will be able to find a place for him.
Nothing in my tank is an impulse buy. We wanted another fish and we went looking and found this cute baby tang, nothing impulsive about that.
While I will agree that no one should by anything with out knowing about said subject.
I/we having four tanks (one 265gal reef and three 125gal reef, in case you want to question tank size) and making our old 75 gallon into a frag tank. I don't foresee any problems with general health and well being of this fish.
I do appreciate your concern. You should try not being so judgmental when all I ask for was a little help on the Id.

dogstar

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
While I will agree that no one should by anything with out knowing about said subject.
I have an idea........
BTW, what did you know about the subject other than its a tang with blue lips and spots ??

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I have an idea........
BTW, what did you know about the subject other than its a tang with blue lips and spots ??
" I have an idea........ ?????
Well this is what went thru my head before the purchase of “unknown tang”
Is it a tang……………. YES.
Id tang. Not sure but I have a few guesses of the bat.
Hhmmmmmmmmmmm
Tangs likes to graze on algae, like all tangs. All my tanks have four net algae clips one of each side to fulfill their need and desire to graze. YES
Do I have the appropriate diet for this tang, Ummmmm YES
Needs plenty of swimming room, like all tangs. Any one of my tanks will fulfill that need and desire. YES
Plenty of live rock with hiding places and caves and thru way to swim thru. YES
Tanks are not over crowded or other co-inhabitants that would stress this fish out. YES
Is their anything else that I would need to change in any one of my tanks. Maybe change a few pieces of live rock to tank away any territories in the tank, can I do this, YES
Special lights needed that I don’t have already installed. NO
Can I take the approximate time to acclimate this fish to my tanks chemistry. YES. 2.5 hour drip.
Turn off the hospital tank light and allow fish to adjust.
Watch and document the fish habits and watch for sign and symptoms of illness. YES and DONE.
Appropriately acclimate fish to display tank. YES and DONE.
So again this was not a “whim of a purchase” No real rocket science behind it.
Basic knowledge of tang behavior, life style and habitation will pretty much do.
Where were you going with this??????? Trying to prove something???????????

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by julie853
sharkbait9!!

Thanks. I hope i did not come off to abrasive. It was strictly meant as a question of " what are you trying to prove" Did I miss something? Do you think I don't know what I‘m doing?
I do appreciate your support :cheer:

katiev

Pics yet? I would like to see your new fish, no matter what it turns out to be. :) I'm sure you'll get an answer right off the bat.
And ditto everyone else's
. Seriously...what you asked for was an ID, not an attack of your knowledge/capabilities...jeez.

30-xtra high

yea.. by the looks of it you know what youre doing, and whatever the tang is i'm sure it'll be fine, now guys stop questioning him and just give him suggestions as to what his tang is..

dogstar

Basic knowledge of tang behavior, life style and habitation will pretty much do.
Your right, so everyone will know....all
tangs ( 70 + different species ) even '' silver dollor '' sized ones, need only the same basic requirements to insure their long term survival in captive conditions....

So, to help with your ID. :happyfish
Can you tell us any more about this species other than its cute, looks like a naso, grey and has blue lips and spots ....? :thinking:
Will you be able to post a photo ?
seannmelly suggested two naso species that could match your description. Your reponce was....
'' It might be one of these I did not even think of those two fish, ''
now, so we may continue...it either is or it is not one of them, right ? Can you say ??
I dont know if you have seen these photos of those two speices in their juvenile stage or not....they are probbly bigger than yours and not many baby pics available because most hobbiest dont buy them so small. I dont know why they dont though....

auntkaren

Don't forget... YOU aren't the only one reading these posts. Maybe Dogstar et. al. were gently reminding you AND other readers about research. :) I'm sure that you are a responsible reefer and sometimes we are offered an irresistable fish. We, too, went to the LFS knowing we would come home with a fish that ate vegetation. We had researched tangs for months. We brought home a two spot bristletooth tang who has a blue hue but also turns brown when aroused. Could you have gotten a bristletooth? Is that picture posted the one that you got or is yours more brown? Our twospot will only get about 7" and is very mellow with other fish. He's a wonderful addition to our 180 G too!
Did you figure out which Tang you actually got yet? I'd be interested to know. Can you post a pic of yours?

sharkbait9

Just my luck I thought I was going to get a great profile pic of the fish and as I’m focusing on the fish he extends his dorsal and pectoral fins as to say “oh a camera“.
As I press the button he turns brown and my camera doesn’t work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did how ever get a good visual of him and his color pattern.
He is a grayish blue almost gun metal grey with blue lips and…….. What……… duh…… the last bottom pic is him. Sorry I had dooot ta dooo moment :hilarious (Carlos mencia)
Any way I hate this camera, stupid Olympus.
:mad:
This fish is just a fat cat of a fish. For a baby he has already figured out when the clips gets pulled nori strips are coming and swims back and forth the glass. When the cans of formula get waved by the tank he goes up to the surface, when the turkey baster waves by he goes low and hides in the rocks and waits to see what corals are getting some mix. This is a really smart fish.
If anything I want to try and get a pic of his eyes, they just are so dominate and you can’t help but look at them, they automatically draw your attention.
Originally Posted by AuntKaren
Don't forget... YOU aren't the only one reading these posts. Maybe Dogstar et. al. were gently reminding you AND other readers about research.
Maybe so.
I did how ever state that I needed help on the Id. Never once did I say what kind of fish is this and how do I care for him.
If I did or anyone else say that then yeah sure hang your head and take your verbal lashings.
I am just as guilty at time along with halve the other members who forget what its like to just be getting starting and not knowing the right ways and only go by what the LFS tell us.
When a new keeper gets on here and states something that we all know is wrong, we have a tendency to blast them clean off the forum and add insult to injury.
Instead of pointing them in the right direction and extending a helping hand.
Its only natural after we fail a few time and get fed up and start to research the life style and habitation of the co-inhabitants do we learn that what the LFS told us was a ploy to spend the money on “X” and figure it out later.
Why? Because they know that if someone buys “X” and have no clue they will come back for help and most likely spend more money on maybe another fish or maybe sucker them into certain products I.e. test kits, food to help care for “X”
Its an old ploy a lot LFS owners do. When I worked in a LFS I was taught that.

cjml

" I have an idea........ ?????
Well this is what went thru my head before the purchase of “unknown tang”
Is it a tang……………. YES.
Id tang. Not sure but I have a few guesses of the bat.
Hhmmmmmmmmmmm
Tangs likes to graze on algae, like all tangs. All my tanks have four net algae clips one of each side to fulfill their need and desire to graze. YES
Do I have the appropriate diet for this tang, Ummmmm YES
Needs plenty of swimming room, like all tangs. Any one of my tanks will fulfill that need and desire. YES
Plenty of live rock with hiding places and caves and thru way to swim thru. YES
Tanks are not over crowded or other co-inhabitants that would stress this fish out. YES
Is their anything else that I would need to change in any one of my tanks. Maybe change a few pieces of live rock to tank away any territories in the tank, can I do this, YES
Special lights needed that I don’t have already installed. NO
Can I take the approximate time to acclimate this fish to my tanks chemistry. YES. 2.5 hour drip.
Turn off the hospital tank light and allow fish to adjust.
Watch and document the fish habits and watch for sign and symptoms of illness. YES and DONE.
Appropriately acclimate fish to display tank. YES and DONE.
So again this was not a “whim of a purchase” No real rocket science behind it.
Where were you going with this??????? Trying to prove something???????????
:happyfish :happyfish

turbo21

imo
what you are describing is a vlamingi tang, i have a 6" one in my 240
this is my favorite fish, tons of personality, color changing is awesome
they grow extremely fast----in my 390 we had, i had one go from about 6 inches to almost 20 inches in two years, congrats on the great buy, i paid nearly $60 for mine
bob