Tang needs a good home...

leigh

Hey all,
This has been posted for some weeks over in trading and classifieds, hoping to have more luck here...I've been tearing down my reef and am really at a point where I decisively need to find a new home for my purple tang (most of the corals are sold and many of his creepy crawly friends are in new homes). The rest of the stuff I can justify taking to a fishstore, but that tang deserves a nice 6' long happy home. When i acquired it it had HLLE, it has healed up quite well with a healthy varied diet of spirulina, nori, plankton etc... and regular soaking of food in zoecon (i'll include the rest of the bottle of zoecon with the tang). I paid $50 for him and I'd rather not lose money since he's a 4" long purple tang and if it weren't for his barely detectable HLLE he'd be a $120 fish. Please, if you're a good home and are near the detroit metro area, contact me (734) 845-6376 triathlongeek@hotmail.com
-leigh
(ps, tony detroit if you're reading this, please please please take this guy off my hands, I'm sure he'd love your reef ;) )

ryebread

Is shipping the Tang a possiblility?
Don't take this the wrong way but in my area, a Purple Tang in perfect health at 4-5" will always sell for $70-$80.
I would be interested in the Tang if it would help you out, but I don't think that I can make a trip to MI for him. :)

cincyreefer

Where are you getting your fish RyeBread? :eek:
Someone must be hooking you up for those kind of prices on a purple tang. :D

ryebread

There is a reason that I don't buy fish from A&E. ;) I don't know.......I guess people just like me. :D I can also pick up Chevron Tangs for just a little more than Purples in our area.......I have been half scared to death by Jason's Chevron price. :eek: :D :p
I don't mean to sound like a jerk here. I don't just look for good pricing......I will pay what needs to be paid for something of good quality, that's all. :)

cincyreefer

Yeah, we get raped on some of our costs for fish.... but what do you expect when your order from the top distributors that are all MAC certified. We will easily lose some sales to get better quality fish and protect the reefs at the same time.
Don't worry though, I know where you are coming from. I thought the same thing until I started working there and saw first hand the difference in quality. You wouldn't believe how many fish are lost at other places just for the cheaper price. (Thats speaking from experience... they don't always sell all those fish like they might say)
Hope to see you around sometime!

leigh

Yeah Rye, those are awesome prices--I pulled that 120 number from stuff I found online ($118.99) and what I saw at fishstores near me ($150). I've never been able to find anything at a fishstore cheaper than online (until you take into account shipping). If I had a quality LFS that cheap I might not be tearing down my reef. But that's not really the point--I'm not selling him for $120, I'm open to discussion on price depending on just how good the home is that can be provided. lopeyc i'm just tearing down the reef cause it's more hassle than i'm enjoying right now. one day when i can afford a 150 gal+ tank with metal halides and do everything right I'll get into it again, but for now I find myself looking at my monster hermit crabs more than anything so I'm just going to keep them--move that tank to my basement and turn that huge wall in my living room into more of a photo gallery. I'm not confident enough in my ability to ship this guy to send him--i'd be emotionally destroyed if he didn't make it! But thanks for the offer rye.

ryebread

I can understand the worry of shipping him. Let me know if you change your mind and I will be here to help. :)

lopeyc

Originally posted by leigh
Yeah Rye, those are awesome prices--I pulled that 120 number from stuff I found online ($118.99) and what I saw at fishstores near me ($150). I've never been able to find anything at a fishstore cheaper than online (until you take into account shipping). If I had a quality LFS that cheap I might not be tearing down my reef. But that's not really the point--I'm not selling him for $120, I'm open to discussion on price depending on just how good the home is that can be provided. lopeyc i'm just tearing down the reef cause it's more hassle than i'm enjoying right now. one day when i can afford a 150 gal+ tank with metal halides and do everything right I'll get into it again, but for now I find myself looking at my monster hermit crabs more than anything so I'm just going to keep them--move that tank to my basement and turn that huge wall in my living room into more of a photo gallery. I'm not confident enough in my ability to ship this guy to send him--i'd be emotionally destroyed if he didn't make it! But thanks for the offer rye.

Thanks for answering my nosey question. I'm just worried I'm getting into this hobby (habit? addiction?) too far, too fast, and so am trying to be alert to cautionary tales of what NOT to do. :rolleyes:

leigh

Yep, definitely nothing wrong with that. It's a great hobby--like most things in life though for me it took a lil doing to find my path. Turns out I'm a weirdo and my path is aggressive invertebrates :D

leigh you are not a weirdo I saw that crab and he is kinda coll ( in a strange way) but hey to each they own many people on this board like strange things, so in essence youare just as strange as the rest of us. and again thanks for the stuff. We are enjoying them.

tony detroit

leigh,
Sorry been outta town all week running a job in muskegon.
call me 734-812-5444 I can work something out
tony

leigh

carribeanguy, glad the corals are working out. it's such a good feeling to see them find a good home :)
moopiespoo, aren't they fun? if I might ask what else do you have in the tank with them? (mine are pretty aggressive and have killed just about anything that's either slower than them or requires sleep, but I'm always looking for tank mate suggestions).
and Tony, awesome. I will call you tomorrow--it'll be after the U of M game though if that's okay? I can meet up with you tomorrow eve or anytime sunday if either of those work for you? what kind of mountain bike?
-leigh