Tang police help!

jkhudson

I have a 75 gal tank with 70 lbs of rock, emperor 400 and 280 filters, protein skimmer and 2 maxijet 600 pumps for circulation. I have a flame angel, a damsel, 2 blennys and some coral in my tank at present. I am bringing a flame cardinal, occelaris clown and a foxface out of QT this week and putting them in my display tank. 2 questions: when I put the new arrivals in do I follow SOP with acclimation as I would when I bought them and I am wanting to add a yellow tang and a hippo tang later this year, is this pushing my bio-load?

lion_crazz

SOP? I am not sure what you mean. However, you definitely want to acclimate these to your main tank the same way you would anything else.
Also, the two tangs would definitely be pushing it.

michelle l

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
SOP? I am not sure what you mean. However, you definitely want to acclimate these to your main tank the same way you would anything else.
Also, the two tangs would definitely be pushing it.
I'm pretty sure they mean "Standard Operating Procedure."

merredeth

Originally Posted by jkhudson
I have a 75 gal tank with 70 lbs of rock, emperor 400 and 280 filters, protein skimmer and 2 maxijet 600 pumps for circulation. I have a flame angel, a damsel, 2 blennys and some coral in my tank at present. I am bringing a flame cardinal, occelaris clown and a foxface out of QT this week and putting them in my display tank. 2 questions: when I put the new arrivals in do I follow SOP with acclimation as I would when I bought them and I am wanting to add a yellow tang and a hippo tang later this year, is this pushing my bio-load?
I'm not a tang policeperson, but I really bleieve you are pushing it with two tangs in a 75 gallon. If you had a bigger tank (say 130) making one of the tangs a Kole and the other one either your hippo or yellow tang. If you were to jump to a 150, then I would go ahead and get two of the ones you want.
Tangs are prone to stress easily and need lots of swimming space to swim in. Putting two tangs in a 75 is just asking for trouble.
Denise M.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Michelle L
I'm pretty sure they mean "Standard Operating Procedure."
oh, that makes sense! thanks for clearing that up.