Tang Police: Is It Our Job?

I have recently been wondering this because it seems that half the people I help either have a fish that should not be in a tank of that size, or want to purchase one. I know I should discourage them from buying one. But if you are helping somebody on an unrelated problem, or someone is showing pics of their tank, and you see a fish that shouldnt be there, should you point it out. I feel like I do this so often that the only thing I ever say is "Your tank is way too small for that tang", and I feel like I'm not giving genuine advice, rather just spitting out tank requirements.
I want to hear other peoples opinions and what they do, especially from some of the bigger names on the boards that people look up to.

bang guy

I feel it is the responsibility of a conscientious hobbiest to inform. If the receiver already knows that a Sohal has a slim probability of thriving long term in a 55 then there's really no reason to attempt to drive the point home.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

t316

There is a difference between politely mentioning something to someone verses "policing" someone, coming across as know-it-all. With the former, you have the opportunity to direct them to some place where they can check it out for themselves, as most of these people (including me once) don't know any different. But if you are saying "your tank is way to small for that tang", then that sounds like you are degrading their tank, when what you meant to say was "that tang is too big(species) for your tank". Sounds the same, but when spoken, comes out two different ways.
In short, I think we have an obligation to bring it up (if it's a newbie that does not know), but then leave it at that. If they are aware, then ultimately it is their choice as a buyer as to what they put in their tank.

T

tizzo

I only mention it if they ask... Or ask about other health issues.
If I see a tang in a 20g, I may say something along the lines of, "I hope your planning on a bigger tank for him soon" and the persons response will determine where the convo will go from there.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2737524
I only mention it if they ask... Or ask about other health issues.
If I see a tang in a 20g, I may say something along the lines of, "I hope your planning on a bigger tank for him soon" and the persons response will determine where the convo will go from there.

+1 I am very far from being an expert on ALOT of stuff, but in general I don't think it is my place to say unless asked. I think it is the hobbiests job to research. I don't mind teachers, but I hate preachers...

scott79

you have to know the person situation before you go out and telling them what not to do. Like me, i own a 75 gallon tank and have a medium sized blue tang, in about a month i am putting him in my dads 400 gallon FO aquarium. So you never know the persons plans for the fish in the future.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by scott79
http:///forum/post/2737590
you have to know the person situation before you go out and telling them what not to do. Like me, i own a 75 gallon tank and have a medium sized blue tang, in about a month i am putting him in my dads 400 gallon FO aquarium. So you never know the persons plans for the fish in the future.
This is precisely why I would more than likely not say anything, unless you posed the question "can I put a blue tang in a 75 gallon?". I probably have dropped a comment or two in the past along the lines of "hope you plan on upgrading, or have an alternate plan", but I would never unprompted say, "get that fish out of your tank now fish killer", and then proceed to inform you of all your personal characteristics that I find bothersome. Just not my place.

salt210

I agree. as long as its put in a polite way then it should be said. I know that when I first came on this site I had just bought my 210 as my first aquarium and thought that all I had to do was go by the so much inch of fish per so many gallons rule and id be ok. including buying a shark or ray. which luckily for me I found this site before making any huge mistakes

kevin mcrae

I agree with some of the above.
A small tang in a 50 gallon tank is fine IMO but eventually you will need a larger tank.

saltymac

So, would 4 tangs be ok in a 125? A yellow, sailfin, goldrim and kole, with an emperator an ebili a maroon clown and a small school of chromis.

fau8

I think its okay to point out any potential problems, as it helps the educational process for everyone to avoid these issues and properly plan their setups and stocking. With that said its should be stated with that in mind needless critisizm doen't help anyone.

R

rcreations

I don't see anything wrong with pointing out a problem, like "you have a fish that would do better in a larger tank." But just don't overdo it. If you mention it once, that's enough and do it politely because the bottom line is that people can put in their tanks whatever they want. If they are aware of the problem and they still want to do it, that's their business and nothing you say can change that.

bang guy

Originally Posted by saltymac
http:///forum/post/2737689
So, would 4 tangs be ok in a 125? A yellow, sailfin, goldrim and kole, with an emperator an ebili a maroon clown and a small school of chromis.
Not in my opinion.
The Kole or the Yellow would be fine but not both. It would be marginal for the Goldrim. A Goldrim will peacefully cohabitate with a Kole or a Yellow, usually.
The Sailfin is an open water swimmer and needs tank length to open up. In my opinion it's not the size of the fish, it's the swimming habits.

1knight164

I appreciate any advice from those who've been there. Better to learn from mistakes (or knowledge) of others than to make the mistake yourself. But, as mentioned above, just as long as the advice is made in good taste. Some posts i've read treat noob's like idiots which is really uncalled for.

small triggers

I believe not only in being a conscience aquarist, but also doing as much research as possible and making a plan prior to do anything (i also have OCD). In a perfect world everyone would have done 2 years of research about what is needed, what kinds of fish do what, and so on. I fortunently had the time to do that having to move 3 times in a year period. Then being able to plan the future.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2737501
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Arnold Ziffel, from "Green Acres", sang quite well. For a pig.
My 2 cents on the subject: Offering advice, being helpful, and giving the benefit of your experience is one thing. Putting someone on a kill-the-planet type guilt trip over a fish is quite another. On a moral level, I see no difference in the new fish in my QT and the tuna sandwich I had for lunch. I remember one member of this forum telling another to "be very ashamed' for not doing enough research on a scallop.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by saltymac
http:///forum/post/2737689
Have you ever seen a full size sailfin. You are talking an 18 inch fish. After seeing that I wouldn't put it in anything smaller than a 300+