Tang problems

sadgoth

Any suggestions, I recently introduced a Purple tang to my 100gal 5' tank and it has since been attacked several times by my full grown Regal, what can I do?

justyn

I did the same thing and didn't have any problems what so ever with the regal I have. Actually, I didn't have any problems with any of my fish except after a week the yellow tang started to get frisky. What I did was put the Yellow in the hospital tank I have for about two weeks (same water conditions). Within that time I added more live rock and changed the tank around a little. Once the purple was comfortable I put the yellow back in and there weren't any problems. I'm a Tang lover but unfortunately tangs don't get along together very well unless you introduce them in a perfect order and make sure they all have PLENTY of swimming space and a good sleeping space.
If you have the opportunity, take the Regal out for awhile until the purple gets aquainted. Otherwise the tangs will get stressed and you'll have a major ICK outbreak.

flamehawk

Adding tangs together is always recommended. Once you add another tang to a tank which has an already established tang , there is always a chance for territorial squabbles. Removing him for a while may work. Rearranging rock is also a good idea. After these actions put nori on two lettuce clips and put them on opposite sides of the tank. Since most of the territorial squabbles will continue to happen around feeding time, this method has worked well for me. ALso place other foods on opposite ends. Are there any other tangs in the tank? Two tangs in a 100 g s/b the max.