tang question

gmen

Im debating my tang selection for my 180g. Im not worried about the tang police so please keep those comments to yourself...My question is about orange shoulder tangs and them getting along with a naso tang. I plan to keep both along with a purple tang.
Anyone keep a orange shoulder and if so how do they do with other tangs in your tank?
TIA

jdogg2432

I currently have a Orange Shoulder Tang in with several other tangs and he is by far my favorite. I posted several pics of him a week or so ago along with the other tangs that are in my system. ("210 gallon setup" was the title of my post)
The Orange Shoulder Tang that I have is probably the most docile tang that I have, next to my Yellow Eye. Cool to watch the color change from Juvenile to Adult.

gmen

Originally posted by gmen
Im debating my tang selection for my 180g. Im not worried about the tang police so please keep those comments to yourself...My question is about orange shoulder tangs and them getting along with a naso tang. I plan to keep both along with a purple tang.
Anyone keep a orange shoulder and if so how do they do with other tangs in your tank?
TIA

ive been in this hobby long enough that im done with yellow tangs...they are cool but just not my bag....The orange will be with a purple tang too.

marineman

dont' worry about the tang police as you have a large tank and things work out better in them most of the time. I have 5 tangs in my 175g ( naso, clown, purple, yellow, powder blue). I will not add another but they are doing ok and make an awesome display!! A little mild chasing goes on but not often and no one gets hurt. Naso is the least aggressive! Clown & purple are the fiestier ones. Alot of caves and crevices in the live rock helps but open swim space is important as well. Get a clip and feed algae nori daily!

gmen

yeah im not really "worried" about the tang police...its just most officers of this police force are people with 30g tanks that offer advice on something they know little about. Anyway I think I will be ok. I have a purple in there now...which I really didnt want to put in there before my other tangs but I had a buddy holding my ptang for me and hes moving so his tanks had to come down...I have plenty of swiming space and caves and other places for the fish to hang out. My purple actually isnt that real agresive. he was in a 90g wih a yellow tang and they were buddies swam all over the place together.
well my orange shoulder tang will be here on friday...hes going in qt for a month by that time I should have my naso tang (im getting this one from another reefer that is moving) then he will hit qt and the orange will hit my display...
Here is a pic of my tank I took a copule of days ago.

aquarius 1

I have an OS in one of my tanks and he's in there with a Sailfin Tang, Clown Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Clown Trigger, and Maculosus Angel. He's the biggest fish and oldest inhabitant in there and never ever have I had a problem with aggression. He's like a big gentle giant and all he does is eat and swim all day, minding his own business. When he was still growing up, he was in there with a Naso as well and no problems there either. They're really a great fish and not to expensive, its a shame more people don't see the beauty in these fish! Here's a pic

jdogg2432

Aquarius-
I've got a OS Tang in my tank as well, and he is by far my coolest fish! He is so entertaining to watch! Mine is just barely starting to change to his adult coloration. I can't wait until he looks like yours!

aquarius 1

Yeah, when this guy came, he was completely yellow with a brown patch behind the eye. But I must say, it's been almost two years now and he's definitely come into his own!

gmen

well my orange shoulder didnt come on this order....i guess i have to wait till next time thats cool b/c the stuff i got didnt look too hot

magic mark

just b/c some have 30gal tanks doesnt mean they know nothing about tangs....

but what about a powder blue? they are the prettiest tangs :yes: :D

gmen

Originally posted by Magic Mark
just b/c some have 30gal tanks doesnt mean they know nothing about tangs....

but what about a powder blue? they are the prettiest tangs :yes: :D

Mark,
Anyone can read a book about this hobby but you have to experience something yourself to know if it works. Someone who doesnt even have a tank can have knowledge of tangs but do they really know what they are talking about unless they have some real experience.
as far as pbt IME, IMO they are very nice looking fish but seem to get ick more then other tangs. I personally would only put one in a established tank and they are not a good fish for the rookie reefer.
Guys Im not here to flame and yes I cant stand the tang police:D

marineman

I agree we do not need any tang police without first hand experience with these fish. I have broke many " tang police rules " without any problems! I have learned some useful techniques in keeping tangs and they came from first hand experience with these fish. Tangs are not the only fish that get ich so preventive measures should be used in most all aquariums with fish ( qt, uv, good nutrition/water quality). I have a PBT and agree this is an awesome looking fish but it can be tough to maintain depending on the tank environment you have setup.
No
neccessary!