Tang to Tang tank mate question

flipy

I've heard that 2 tangs in the same tank will fight, however i'm a tad confused... I can see a yellow, purple, black and/or sailfin fighting with each other because they have the same body style. But would one of them (Zebrasoma) get along with a powder blue type (Acanthurus)? I ask Because I have a yellow tang and would very much like to get a powder blue, naso or regal tang.
Thanks in advnace,
Flipy

I think the PBT is the most aggressive of the lot. Regals would be next, and Nasos would be the least. But, that's just my opinion!
I think any combo would work, if the tank is big enough for both of them.

flipy

It's a 75 gallon with only the yellow tang. I wish I ahd a bigger tank so I could get a silfin.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Flipy
http:///forum/post/2991494
It's a 75 gallon with only the yellow tang. I wish I ahd a bigger tank so I could get a silfin.
There just isn't a "for sure" answer on the question of tangs fighting. But, if you have a 75; I think it sure increases the odds. I would never put a PB in a 75 and never two tangs of any kind.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Flipy
http:///forum/post/2989148
I've heard that 2 tangs in the same tank will fight, however i'm a tad confused... I can see a yellow, purple, black and/or sailfin fighting with each other because they have the same body style. But would one of them (Zebrasoma) get along with a powder blue type (Acanthurus)? I ask Because I have a yellow tang and would very much like to get a powder blue, naso or regal tang.
Thanks in advnace,
Flipy
There just isn't a "for sure" answer on the question of tangs fighting. But, if you have a 75; I think it sure increases the odds. I would never put a PB, naso, or regal into a 75 and never two tangs of any kind. I think a lot of hobbiests would consider a 75 too small for just the yellow tang.

dragonboy

It really depends on each fish sometimes I've seen a tank with many tangs in it and they still get along. I also think if you bought all the fish at the same time they will get along from the start.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by dragonboy
http:///forum/post/2992463
It really depends on each fish sometimes I've seen a tank with many tangs in it and they still get along. I also think if you bought all the fish at the same time they will get along from the start.
Try putting a PB and a Sohal in at the same time, or 2 yellows (3 often works), or 2 Purples, or a purple & yellow, etc, etc. Combos like this will end up in big trouble most (not all) of the time. A big tank, different sizes of different genera, and less aggressive species improve your odds.

dbrown23

i have a 72 gallon tank with a yellow tang and a salfin tang an they get along just fine. i had them both now for about a year together and they act as tho they are best friends so i guess it depends on the agression of the fish you get.

I believe if the PB is the last tang introduced you are okay with a yellow. I have a yellow, PB and Kole and I have never had a probelm...

ironeagle2006

Rght now in my 150 I have a pair of Yellows a Red Sea Sailfin a Blue Hippo and a Blonde Naso male waiting til I get the 300 before I get the Powder Blue and the Purple in there last one I get will be the Sohal.