Tang vs. Butterlfy. Round 1

volitan

I have a 75 gallon reef with nothing but a cleanup crew and a medium yellow tang in it. Today I bought a Copper banded buttlerfly fish to join the tank. My LFS told me that since the body shapes of the tang and the butterfly are similar I should make sure that the tang is overfed with seaweed and algae so that the new inhabitant can adjust to the tank and establish territory while the tang is preoccupied. I did everything they told me to, but apparently the fish have been fighting because the butterfly has a wound in it's side, and they seem to not care for each other too much! What do you guys recommend at this point? I understand that the wound is pretty serious, but what can I do to keep it from being fatal?

promisetbg

You should always quarantine new additions...is it possible for you to set one up?It may succomb to a bacterial infection..which could prove fatal.It should be treated in a hospital/QT tank,directions on how to set one up can be found in disease and treatment.In fact,I would suggest posting this in D+T,and Beth can give you advice on what to treat him with.Perhaps try rearranging your tank,this will make the tang think he has to reestablish a new territory,and may quell the aggression some.Good Luck!:nervous:

mbowker

set up another tank, remove the tang for a while and keep the butterfly in the tank, move a few rocks around so the boundry is unclear, after about a half hour or a little more put the tang back in . they should be fine after this, new territories will be made

volitan

I will try removing the tang for awhile and rearranging the rockwork. The both seem to be fairly active today, but they are not spending much time around each other.

ross

Completely rearrange the live rock and keep the lights off and completely dark for at least a day. This will be less stressful for the butterfly.

K

ky reefer

well i think that u should put the TANG in the QT and the butterfly in the tank. LET THE BUTTERFLY MAkE HIS OWN TERRITOYR.
it works

volitan

I don't have a quarantine tank, but I did keep the lights off all day yesterday. Today is the butterfly's first day with the sun up.

rubberduck

Originally posted by KY REEFER
well i think that u should put the TANG in the QT and the butterfly in the tank. LET THE BUTTERFLY MAkE HIS OWN TERRITOYR.
it works

actualy i said that

volitan

He seems to be doing ok. I'm a little worried about the wound, though. I'm about to rearrange the rockwork a little. I think I'll also try supplementing his food with garlic to try to boost his immune system. What do you guys think about that?