tangs and clowns?

A

angelofdeath132

would a regal tang and 6 clowns be too much for a 55 FO tank? would they all get along o.k.

I would say that 7 fish in a 55 is too many. The clowns, depending on the species, will get to be about 3"+. Thats 18" of clownfish. If you stick to a 5 gallon/1" of fish rule...a 55 gives you about 11" of fish to work with. You could probably put in more then 11" of fish considering your aiming for a FO tank. Also, when considering clowns, many of them can only be kept singuly or in mated pairs. Perculas and tomatoes are exceptions i think. Maroons are definately out of the question. Also, that regal tang is probably a bad idea to put in the 55 by itself, let alone with a bunch of clowns. They are teritorial, and will get very big (9+ inches.) I would say, start out with a mated pair of clowns, and then move on to a smaller type of tang if you want one. Also, if you have a 55 regular (48" in lengh) this would be much better for a tang (they like swimming space.) As for clown/tang interaction. I have a maroon and a yellow tang in a 75 gal and they get along fine.

I have a tang and clown together and they get along fine. Remember the 1" of fish per 5 gallons of water rule. You should only have 11 inches of fish in a 55 gallon tank. Your tang will grow to 7" and the clowns to 4" each. You might consider 3 fish that only grow to 4" each. That would be pushing the safe limit.

jeo

over all that is too much. Most people say a 75 gal is the smallest size tank for a tang and regal tangs are dfinitly on the less hardy side of the tang spectrum(very susceptible to ich). Also what kind of clowns? You can't mix clowns or they will fight and most are best kept in pairs. I would suggest getting a pair of clowns, and checking out other small fish like a six-line wrasse, royal gramma, cardinals...there are a lot of other choices out there

A tang, out of the question. Tnags are grazers and love to swim. If kept in too small of a tank, they will be very cramped and will be more likely to get ich(essepally a regal tang, one of the more delecate tangs) and die. Also, tangs will not bother the clowns. I have a blue tang with a mated pair of percs and the tang has never bullied the clown, it would be the other way around...
The 6 clowns would be ok if they are percs and tomamtoes. These dont get to big, and are really friedly not to mention beautiful!. Hope i helped
!

jeo

I'm gonna have to disagree with Bob, tomatoes can be agressive to other clowns, even if not at first they can get agressive when they get bigger, espcially when they are cramped- and 6 clowns would definitly be cramped! If you are going to get tomatoes get only one or a pair, if you are going to get percs theb 2 or 4 would be ok, 6 would be pushing it