Tangs for 90 gallon

i rule

Hey guys, at a stretch, what Tangs would you recommend for a 90 gallon reef aquarium? Also, how many would be acceptable? I was thinking about 4 or maybe 5 if they were really docile, since I saw a guy with a Tomini, Regal and Luitenant Tang in a 65 UK gallon tank that were doing good.

hot883

90 is a 4 foot tank?
Not recommended at all, but if the experience level was high then 1 kole might fit
but that would be all (for tangs)

granny

It could be a 90 long, which gives you more swimming room.
WE see alot of things that just arent best practice. So often those pictures of tanks filled with tangs or too many of something or other, are just death beds and shortly the fish succumb to their not quite perfect surroundings.
That said, I have housed a kole and a yellow tang together in a 90 long for quite some time.(not recently) Their bodies are different shapes so they seemed compatible and both are on the 'small' side as far as tangs are concerned.
Why not mix your species-try one of the dwarf angels with your tang choice and you will probably enjoy them more=or an active wrasse?
Make wise decisions adn you will be happier down the road-so will your fish!

i rule

well I just read another guy's thread and I have discovered the type of answers I would get.
What is the big deal about them according to you guys anyways? they don't seem to get any diseases in 4' tanks.... to me it seems that fighting would be the only dissuasion to getting several tangs in a 4'.
Remember you guys that not everybody can afford 6' tanks.

hot883

If you can afford a 6ft tank or not is NOT the problem. We are trying to help you NOT make the mistake of putting fish in a to small of a tank. You can make up your own mind or take the advice of someone that is telling you what YOU want to hear.
Better yet, when you put those 4 or 5 tangs in that 4 ft tank and they get ICH, don't ask for help.
See, thats not a good answer either.
We are trying to help you not make the same mistakes that so many other people have made INCLUDING US.
Don't take my advice, do some research.
Go to the top and type in tang or "my tang is sick" etc. and see how many threads you see that people are crying that their tang is SICK and then read and see what the tank size is.

hot883

Just read the other thread you posted in too. it makes me laugh, or shrug in disbelief how poeple do not like what they hear so they dismiss it as bad info. I am here posting this from experience not hear say. Take the advice or not.
You will do what you like anyway. Have a good day and good luck, Barry

travis89

The Kole is the only one that I would recommend, a 4 ft. tank isn't big enough for most tangs to live a long healthy life.

i rule

If the problem is ich, why don't I just get a cleaner wrasse, goby or shrimp? Or a sterilizer? I have seen many instances where tangs have been treated just like any other fish and been stocked plentifully in a smaller tank with no consequences. Perhaps you are just unlucky Barry?
P.S. it's not that I don't want to hear your opinion; it's just that I know better. Your not the only well-researched and experienced member here.

travis89

They are not stocked plentifully in a small tank with no consequences, you just don't see them. Yes ich is just one of the problems with tangs. There are other things that will also happen when the tang gets too stressed out. As said above the Kole or yellow would probably be fine but most others won't. Even the yellow would eventually need to be removed.

travis89

Originally Posted by I Rule
more of my opinion here.here
The so called "tang police" are trying to help you not need to later treat your fish unnecessarily. They just happen to care what happens to the fish.

patrick8929

you obviously arent listening!
they arent oppinions they are facts they are speaking from experiences and want to help you from making to same mistake as they did and many others!
its also not just about the diseases its about the swiming room and their happines. you have to realize that in the oceans they have as much swiming room as they want
in a fish tank it isnt the case so if you just keep taking up all the space they dont have then that is just mean.
if you cant aford a 6' tank then dont have that many tanks its that simple.
patrick

i rule

Well, whatever, I'm sorry I asked in the first place. When I have my 2 or 3 Tangs in my 90 gallon and they are all thriving wonderfully, I'll come back. You can't argue with physical evidence. You guys can stick to your gobies and darters and I'll get my extravagant, healthy, happy tangs.
like I said, they are underestimated. most Tangs are hardy, adaptable fish and if people are too snobby to accept it, EDIT LANGUAGE

aanthony

but like i said in the other thread, we are in the day and age of tank raised tangs, so im sure many tangs out there were raised in 100 gallon or 50 gallon tanks, many of the ones at the lfs havent even been in the oceans, they have spent their whole like in a fish tank.

i rule

ah, a point to which i have alluded to. thanks for helping taking a stand against the majority (of which who lack experience and proper research and usually just take the most "noble" poster's words as gospel).
though i disagree with your info (because most tangs in LFS are actually hand caught)

stsweene

Ive had a kole in my 75 for 8 months now and its doing great, never had any signs of ich. I do have a lot of LR and its set up with alot of holes to swim through.

mitsutech

Tangs love to swim back and forth hence six foot tanks for that cruise.However if your mind is made up do what you want to do just remember when you ask others for advice dont take it as a negative they are just trying to help guide your decision,If your mind is made up dont bother posting in the first place.Remember this hobby is full of passionate intelligent people that speak from the heart as well as the brain with the knowledge to back it up.If you just want to hear that will work and go ahead do that go to the lfs he will tell you what you want to hear and take your money.Then when things go wrong and you need to turn to someone everyone will still be here to help.We all bend rules and make mistakes the guys here just want to help others learn from theirs.

promisetbg

Originally Posted by AAnthony
but like i said in the other thread, we are in the day and age of tank raised tangs, so im sure many tangs out there were raised in 100 gallon or 50 gallon tanks, many of the ones at the lfs havent even been in the oceans, they have spent their whole like in a fish tank.
There is no such thing as a tank raised tang, sorry.